Oil level not dropping

3 replies to this topic
  • amcdaniel

Posted December 24, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Now for the next problem, finally got the wrecked oil drain plug off. Drained the oil and was filling back up, got about 1.2 leters in and dipped it, when I pulled dip out it was twice as high as the high mark and it is not dropping. I'm thinking its airlocked but not sure how to clear it. All the breather hose look ok. Any ideas?? Should I kick it over?

• Solo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 01:32 PM

Did you pull the drain plug in the frame too?

There's one in the motor and one in the frame (just above the skid plate on the down tube). They both must be drained for an oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snakesausage

Posted December 24, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Download the manual:
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Instructions from the manual:

1. Stand the machine on a level surface
2. Idle the engine for more than 3 minutes while keeping the machine upright. Then stop the engine and inspect the oil level.
3. Remove the oil tank cap (dip stick)
4. Oil level should be between the max and min marks (within the hash marks).

Note: Do not screw the oil tank cap into the oil tank, insert lightly.

In the oil change instructions it also mentions that you should loosen the oil gallery bolt at the top of the head on the right side to cause a slight leak to check oil flow. if it does not start to leak in the first minute shut the engine off to keep it from seizing. If it starts to leak, tighten it to 10Nm.

Snake.

• amcdaniel

Posted December 25, 2007 - 01:48 AM

Didn't do the frame drain plug will go drain the whole lot now and try again.
Thanks
Happy Xmas

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.