WR450 Tuning

1 reply to this topic
  • wr guy

Posted December 24, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have a new '05 WR450 (U.S. model). I am replacing the stock exhaust with a Jardine system. Can someone tell me if the stock jetting is o.k. with this pipe. I ride from sea level to 6500 ft. Jardine instructions say stock jetting will work. I find this hard to believe. If stock jetting doesn't work, what jetting should I use?

Someone told me to cut the grey wire. Where is the grey wire and what happens when I cut it? I have already fixed the throttle stop - are there any other inexpensive perfomance mods that should be done? What about that diaphram-looking thing that mounts to the right of the carb. It has hoses going to the air box and also to the engine. The Canadian version of this bike doesn't have this thing. Can if be removed easily and plug the engine ports, or should I leave it on? I do lots of tight trail riding so I usually put a thirteen-tooth front sprocket on to slow me down in first gear, but I'm also putting on a Z start recluse clutch. Should I leave the 14 tooth on and let the clutch do the work or will this be jerky and wear out the clutch?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • garr87v

Posted December 24, 2007 - 01:37 PM

I have a new '05 WR450 (U.S. model). I am replacing the stock exhaust with a Jardine system. Can someone tell me if the stock jetting is o.k. with this pipe. I ride from sea level to 6500 ft. Jardine instructions say stock jetting will work. I find this hard to believe. If stock jetting doesn't work, what jetting should I use?

[COLOR="Blue"]If you do the grey wire mod and the exhaust you will probly have to rejet for lower altitudes I would guess under 4800 above that you might be ok with stock jetting. Under the sticky's on the top of the wr talk forum there is a jetting database. That will give you a starting point.
[/COLOR]
Someone told me to cut the grey wire. Where is the grey wire and what happens when I cut it? I have already fixed the throttle stop

[COLOR="Blue"]This someone is very wise the throttle stop and grey wire should have been done at the same time.
[/COLOR]
What about that diaphram-looking thing that mounts to the right of the carb. It has hoses going to the air box and also to the engine. The Canadian version of this bike doesn't have this thing. Can if be removed easily and plug the engine ports, or should I leave it on?

[COLOR="Blue"]I believe this is the AIS? Yes you can remove it and plug the hoses, not much of a performance thing it just gets ride of the annoying popping.
[/COLOR]
I do lots of tight trail riding so I usually put a thirteen-tooth front sprocket on to slow me down in first gear, but I'm also putting on a Z start recluse clutch. Should I leave the 14 tooth on and let the clutch do the work or will this be jerky and wear out the clutch?

[COLOR="Blue"]If you do alot of trail riding and don't care about top speed, then I would use a 13. I think the recluse would work fine with a 14 tooth but I don't have one so i wouldn't know.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]I hope I was some help, read the stick'y on the top of the forum page it has alot more info then I gave you.:banghead: [/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.