Paint Flaking off inside cylinder head...Anything Serious?

4 replies to this topic
  • Coonass400

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:32 AM

How is it going everybody? Been a while since I've been around. While I was cleaning up the head with carb cleaner, I noticed silver paint coming off inside the head! It seems the carb cleaner ate it right off! Is this serious or should I just have the shop soda blast the rest out of head when they do the valve springs? I searched and found nothing on this paint, any help is greatly appreciated... Also, how hard is changing the valve springs on my own?:banghead:

I haven't been riding for a while so I decided to freshen up my 1999 YZ400F. I repainted the frame and am in the process of doing a top end job. I must say, I took care of this bike in the past but rode pretty hard. After opening her up for the first time, she still looks like new after 9 years! Amazing!!! I could of probably kept riding as it was but needed to do the preventive maintenance, fearing I would blow something up soon:crazy:

Well, Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays, whichever suits...:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2007 - 12:54 PM

There's no paint inside the cylinder head. Probably carbon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coonass400

Posted December 24, 2007 - 01:42 PM

It doesn't look like carbon at all. What I probably should say is that it is peeling from where the cams sit, at the top of the head, not the combustion chamber. It is silver, it is also peeling up from the cam chain tunnel. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered this before. Thanks Gray!

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Only if someone painted it before you got it. I'd want it out of there if it's peeling off.

• 642MX

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:16 PM

It doesn't look like carbon at all. What I probably should say is that it is peeling from where the cams sit, at the top of the head, not the combustion chamber. It is silver, it is also peeling up from the cam chain tunnel. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered this before. Thanks Gray!

How about some pictures?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.