Airbox snorkle

6 replies to this topic
  • Gflo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 08:50 AM

I am trying to remove the airbox snorkle on my son's '05 WR450. What is the trick to getting this thing out in one piece? I can't seem to get it out from the top. Do you have to take the airbox lid off and pull it out from the bottom?

• WGP

Posted December 24, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Theres a few ways:

1)One is to use a hammer and chisel (or screwdriver) to split the snorkel down the middle. The pieces can then be pulled out through the airbox.

2)Remove the battery. Then use two flat blade screwdrivers on each side of the battery strap bracket ant pry it out of the way. Have another person pull the snorkel out with channel locks.

3)If you want to be sure and save your snorkel:

Remove the rivets from the battery strap clip

Remove the battery strap clip

Slide the snorkel out

Re-install the battery strap clip with new rivets

I removed mine the 3rd way and replaced the rivets with small SS bolts and nylon lock nuts. That piece is really what holds it in.

• Gflo

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450-F

Posted December 27, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I have a really simple way, puts all the others to shame. First, guide a rope through the two openings in the top of the snorkle (one end of the rope through the right hole if you were standing on the back of the bike, then the other out from the inside through the left hole), then tie it in a knot and put it around your neck. Second, remove the battery, then put a flathead screwdriver down where the rivets are push the plastic forward with the screwdriver, while pulling up with the rope around your neck. Wala, snorkel removed.

• WR_Dave

Posted December 27, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Is there any dental bill when the snorkle pops out ?? Just Kidding :banghead: 450-F. WR Dave.

• Dube2

Posted December 28, 2007 - 01:37 PM

I am trying to remove the airbox snorkle on my son's '05 WR450. What is the trick to getting this thing out in one piece? I can't seem to get it out from the top. Do you have to take the airbox lid off and pull it out from the bottom?

I used a hack-saw blade, cut down the middle. wasn't very easy, but did the trick.

• 450-F

Posted December 29, 2007 - 10:09 AM

I used a hack-saw blade, cut down the middle. wasn't very easy, but did the trick.

Maybe he wants to save the snorkle for resale :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.