Xr 600r

5 replies to this topic
  • TomTnWlkrs

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I just jumped in with both feet. I bought my first 1990 xr600R and then ran across a 1996 xr with 79 miles on it. The carb was shot on the 96 so I found a new Keihin for $100.00. Here is my question, the carb on the 90 is leaking gas on it when the petcock is turned on, it runs out the overflow tubes. Any suggestions? Also, what can I do to tune the carb up??

Thanks,

Tom

• creeky

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Float valve probably not closing/float hung up. Pull the carb, disassemble and give it a good cleaning, pay particular attention to the pilot jet, they clog very easily. If you are going to do your own maintenance and repair, get hold of a service manual, makes things much easier and prevents mistakes.

• Butta

Posted December 24, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Float valve probably not closing/float hung up. Pull the carb, disassemble and give it a good cleaning, pay particular attention to the pilot jet, they clog very easily. If you are going to do your own maintenance and repair, get hold of a service manual, makes things much easier and prevents mistakes.

What he said......also, the little rubber tip on the end of the plunger that the float actuates can crack and break....causing a poor seal. Pay particular attention to this part. In order to get a look at it, you have to pull the plunger out of the hole it disappears into. Might have to take out the shaft the float rotates around...not sure on these carbs yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danny v

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:45 AM

Yes,you slide out the pin that the float swings on,then lift stright out. The float and the clip that holds the float needle will come right out. Look at the rubber tip and make sure there is no cracks or wear marks or dents in it. At this time you should spray out the entire carb fuel screw port as well but be careful not to loose the O Ring at the bottom of the fuel screw seat ! Been there,Done that :busted:
Good luck Danny V :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:21 AM

+1!!!!!

• UK Jimbo

Posted January 07, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Had an identical problem with my XR6o0 this week and this thread helped me sort it.

Thanks guys :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.