Is tall gearing and hillclimbing bad for your clutch?

7 replies to this topic
  • stvmoto

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Just curious what puts more strain on the clutch, tall or low gearing when hillclimbing:excuseme:

Also if your climbing a steep hill and the bike starts to bog and you miss your downshift can this hurt your clutch?

I bet you guessed I must of fried my clutch:foul:

• BergArabia

Posted December 23, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I am also interested in this as I run paddles.
The inference is that for hill climbing you may need a heavy duty clutch?

• grayracer513

Posted December 23, 2007 - 07:41 PM

Is a clutch more likely to slip in first gear, or in 5th, do you think?

There's your answer. (high gearing is harder on the clutch) Doesn't really matter, though, because you have to gear it for the job at hand, right?

• nap__kxf

Posted December 24, 2007 - 05:56 AM

hillclimbing is just hard on your bike, period. no way around it..you just have to buy a heavy duty clutch like a hinson if you want your clutch to lastlonger if you hillclimb.

we have a freind with a cr500 hillclimber bike and alot of engine mods and he reuses the oem clutch but goes through one every season if not twice per season.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stvmoto

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:41 AM

hillclimbing is just hard on your bike, period. no way around it..you just have to buy a heavy duty clutch like a hinson if you want your clutch to lastlonger if you hillclimb.

we have a freind with a cr500 hillclimber bike and alot of engine mods and he reuses the oem clutch but goes through one every season if not twice per season.

AGREED hillclimbing is hard on your bike both times I fried my clutch it was up a steep hill and I missed my downshift

• BergArabia

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:48 AM

AGREED hillclimbing is hard on your bike both times I fried my clutch it was up a steep hill and I missed my downshift

If it wasn't so much fun, you would put me off hillclimbing (in my case dune climbing) but it is fun. Especially roosting the local guys on their banshees on the dune... :busted: :D

Well when my clutch goes I'll know why, but so far so good..:banghead:

• Tumblin

Posted December 28, 2007 - 01:19 PM

Never had any issues with my clutch... other than the lever.
Oh and the plastic...sub frame it's brutal on that to.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:31 AM

It is not the hills, the tires or the gearing that frys clutches......although more drag to get power to the ground will add more wear eventually
It is how all of you use the clutch and how much drag you put on it each launch........

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.