650L Cam Chain, How Important?

31 replies to this topic
  • Denn10

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:45 AM

What is considered low RPM's? The trailtech is registering 1500-3000rpm's when I get the most noise. Anything higher and the noise goes away.

Could be all my fault and my damn tall 15/40 gearing making the jump between gears HUGE.

that is some TALL TALL gearing there i bet you can run for like 2 minutes between shifts LOL With your 10.5-1 have you tried maybe a mix of fuel like 20/80 race/premium to see how that affects it?

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted December 24, 2007 - 04:03 PM

You guys might be onto something with the detonation. I took a ride today to really try and hone in on the noise and what I thought was coming from the right side of the motor is actually equally loud on either side.

Is adding fuel to the problem a bad solution? I was thinking about trying to fatten up the 1/4 throttle range with either the fuel screw or moving up to a bigger pilot jet.

I really wish I had an O2 sensor right about now. Anyone know of any motorcycle dynos in the Olympia, WA area?

• Butta

Posted December 24, 2007 - 09:16 PM

You guys might be onto something with the detonation. I took a ride today to really try and hone in on the noise and what I thought was coming from the right side of the motor is actually equally loud on either side.

Is adding fuel to the problem a bad solution? I was thinking about trying to fatten up the 1/4 throttle range with either the fuel screw or moving up to a bigger pilot jet.

I really wish I had an O2 sensor right about now. Anyone know of any motorcycle dynos in the Olympia, WA area?

Fattening the jetting will not be the solution. You are trying to get too much out of too little. That is, you can't get all that top end gearing and then expect to start out in 2nd gear! Try that in a standard truck.....put 'er in 4th and see if you can start out from a dead stop (without smoking the clutch!)....it just ain't gonna work, 'cause it was never designed that way.

Out of curiosity, is there anything you have against shifting and riding the bike in the correct gear??

Just trying to help.......

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Gearing is 14/48 and noise happens from stop in 2nd/3rd gear to about 1/2 throttle. Maybe I'm just lugging it too hard.

you just answered your own question. they dont like being lugged that low and you will get some strange noise/feel when you do this.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 25, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Gearing is 14/48 and noise happens from stop in 2nd/3rd gear to about 1/2 throttle. Maybe I'm just lugging it too hard.

you just answered your own question. they dont like being lugged that low and you will get some strange noise/feel when you do this.

Maybe for you street tards dont like it, but this is part of the reason I like this bike so much. The L is like a diesel truck going up the hill side. I just finished a ride with some black diamond bolder hill climbs. I was running 15-48 because there was a lot of freeway to get to the ride, but using first gear I could creep my way up the hill at low rpms. Seems most other bikes need higher rpms for the power. I do have an edelbrock, and they are ideal for such use. I usually run 14-48, and with that gearing you can almost put-put your ars straight up! Stock carb you just need to adjust the idle up a little, and get used to starting in first. It is to far of a leap between 1 and 2 on the L to start in 2cnd. When riding, climbing with 14/48 you should never need to use first unless youve stopped. 2cnd, 3rd is where you will be most of the time.If your engine has been all hopped up youd better start learning how to start in first or something will break(quickly).

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 10:28 PM

he said starting from a stop in 2nd/3rd gear. i dont care what your sprockets are. its not going to feel correct till it gets up a bit in the RPMS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tgstoken

Posted December 26, 2007 - 10:13 AM

he said starting from a stop in 2nd/3rd gear. i dont care what your sprockets are. its not going to feel correct till it gets up a bit in the RPMS.

Thats what I figured. Sounds like I just need to downshift in the corners to first, then back up to 2nd when things get straight again.

• brantc

Posted December 31, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Just bought an 87 XL600. 15,000 miles.

Same thing. It doesnt seem to have as much power as I think. Doh.

And I get some pinging when I roll on the throttle too hard in 3 or 4th gear.

I was wondering about the cam chain issue.

I might tear it down just to make it faster anyway.

If I was to do some light mods, what would be a good thing to do?

I might try to tear to top end down..... Piston, porting, air filter and pipe?

• gstt500

Posted January 01, 2008 - 02:01 PM

My 2000 650L makes a similar noise under the same conditions you described. I bought this bike this past year with around 7k mi. It sounded to me like possible chain noise. the chain, sprockets and plasic guide block were all badly worn. When I replaced them I found the countershaft splines were really worn, causing a lot of play in the front sprocket. there was some improvement after replacing the chain, etc. I changed the gearing from stock to 14/45 which could have helped too. Anyways, my theory is that the worn shaft could be causing the noise so I'll be replacing that this winter. If that does'nt fix it I'll consider detonation

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 02:19 PM

My 2000 650L makes a similar noise under the same conditions you described. I bought this bike this past year with around 7k mi. It sounded to me like possible chain noise. the chain, sprockets and plasic guide block were all badly worn. When I replaced them I found the countershaft splines were really worn, causing a lot of play in the front sprocket. there was some improvement after replacing the chain, etc. I changed the gearing from stock to 14/45 which could have helped too. Anyways, my theory is that the worn shaft could be causing the noise so I'll be replacing that this winter. If that does'nt fix it I'll consider detonation

ive seen some with excessive carbon buildup on the piston/comb. chamber cause a "carbon knock". could be that.

also did you replace the sprockets WITH the timing chain? the tensonier?

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Just bought an 87 XL600. 15,000 miles.

Same thing. It doesnt seem to have as much power as I think. Doh.

And I get some pinging when I roll on the throttle too hard in 3 or 4th gear.

I was wondering about the cam chain issue.

I might tear it down just to make it faster anyway.

If I was to do some light mods, what would be a good thing to do?

I might try to tear to top end down..... Piston, porting, air filter and pipe?

try doing a hotcam. it REALLY livened up my 650L. definately(if nothing else) go with a foam air filter, remove the snorkel, and do an exhaust slip on. just be sure the piston to bore specs are good(if they are, you could get away with just re-ringing it). put a hotcam in it, and be sure to check all the rockers for any wear. also when the head is off, check the trans gears by looking in for any pitting.

if you are not familiar with porting, dont try it. you could make a change that will detract from performance.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted January 01, 2008 - 03:27 PM

I have a brand spanking new countershaft and front sprocket on my L and I am still getting the noise. I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of play in the dog face engagement these transmissions have? With the dogs engaged there is still about an 1/8th rotation worth of play. Hmmm....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.