Made a BooBoo - Mixed Oil Weights

16 replies to this topic
  • 2weelz

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I changed my oil tonight and after I was done pouring in 2 quarts, I realized that I had used 10w40 & 20w50...don't ask. Will this fly or should I drain it? I'm going on a 3+hr trip tomorrow and don't want to have any problems. Thanks
---------
'00 XR650L

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Oh my God! Drain it out fast!

Kidding.:banghead: No worries, just ride it.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Now you have 15-45!

• Bibleman

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Can't see where it would cause any problem, especially if they're the same brand. Having said that, I personally would replace it with two quarts of what I originally intended to put in. Then again, I've been told I obsess over small things:crazy:

• Motosprtman

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:27 PM

is okay, rideit and drain at your next interval - of course if you want you can drain it now and refill with same weights, would be a nice flush... ;-)
I think your fine to the next interval. I put 30W pennzoil in one of my old XL250's one time along with Castrol 20-50, don't ask how, just a dumb moment....they seem to be coming more frequently now...

• 2weelz

Posted December 23, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Sounds good...I'm gonna ride this piss out of it! Thanks

• Denn10

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Maybe only reason i would drain is if it were dead middle of summer and hot, but winter temps EVEN in FL arent gonna be a problem for ya Enjoy your ride.

• resslera

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Mixing is no factor. People do it all the time to try to come up with an ideal oil weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoolishMortal

Posted December 24, 2007 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, no worries - just ride the thing. If it's quality oil, you'll have no issues.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted December 24, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Just a question I'm curious about. What if you mix conventional and synthetic?

• haggeo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 03:07 PM

you'll turn your XR into a moped.

• GIANTac1

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:43 PM

you'll turn your XR into a moped.

hahahha!:banghead:

• goblin127

Posted December 25, 2007 - 07:09 AM

They mix no problem.

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:17 AM

this is a NO NO!

one of the very first things i learned at UTI 14 yrs ago was this in engine class

you CAN mix oil weights. It is not recomended to do this with different brands though. Lastly, NEVER mix synth. and dino. oils.

rich

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:32 AM

this is a NO NO!

one of the very first things i learned at UTI 14 yrs ago was this in engine class

you CAN mix oil weights. It is not recomended to do this with different brands though. Lastly, NEVER mix synth. and dino. oils.

rich

Yeah, this can cause immediate breakdown of the Linkites in synthetic oil, creating a non-lubricating goo. Semi-synthetics use a less corrosive based dino oil mix.
I have been told that if you do change from synthetic to dino, you should run some high-detergent oil like Valvoline for a bit first, or a very quick flush with kerosene. I don't know if that is still applicable with new motors......

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, this can cause immediate breakdown of the Linkites in synthetic oil, creating a non-lubricating goo. Semi-synthetics use a less corrosive based dino oil mix.
I have been told that if you do change from synthetic to dino, you should run some high-detergent oil like Valvoline for a bit first, or a very quick flush with kerosene. I don't know if that is still applicable with new motors......

kerosene works as a flush pretty well. i prefer a mix of ATF/conventional oil.

• byron555

Posted January 19, 2008 - 06:59 AM

diesel works for flushing too... don't they make synthetic/dino blends, I thought I have seen them?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.