Tyre changing

10 replies to this topic
  • Guy

Posted April 04, 2002 - 11:42 AM

I wondered how many people changed their own tyres on a regular basis, Having spent the last two hours in the garage, wrestling with some VERY reluctant rubber (Ooh Eerr!) I am thinking about investing in a Wheel holder and some BIG tyre levers, Anyone else have a wheel holder, or do we all chase the Damn things roung the floor!? :)

• jbird

Posted April 04, 2002 - 11:57 AM

Guy, I know it's not the greatest but try a 5 gallon bucket to set the wheel on. At least it gets it up off the floor. I assume you are using proper tire irons. If not you should get some (2 of them). Don't give up. Like you I used to fight with the stupid things but after doing a few tires it will get much easier. Don't be afraid to get your knees involved either. Use your knee to push the tire past the bead of the rim as you work your way around. I learned the basics by watching someone who is very good and fast at it. After that you just gotta practice--

Jon

• wrsm

Posted April 04, 2002 - 12:04 PM

Guy
I make sure I spend lots of effort keeping the tyre bead sitting all the way into the rim well (where the spoke nipples are), then it makes the levering really easy. I always use my bum bag levers for all tyre fitting in the garage, they are less than 6" long.
In the garage I use a brush with watered down washing up liquid to help lubricate the tyre - mainly to assist in getting it to pop out onto the rim.

Kevin

• Burchardi

Posted April 04, 2002 - 02:37 PM

I take my wheel off and to the shop everytime I need a new tire or a paddle tire swap for the weekend, $15.00 is well worth it, anyone ever try to fight a Dunlop 739 Desert A/T, and you know how hard it is.

• Snapper

Posted April 04, 2002 - 04:57 PM

$15 Dollars is well worth the expense if you have the time - though I tend to find myself changing the tyre at 10.30 on Friday night.

Sit the rim on another trye, kneel down and get into it. Use plenty of detergent or maybe some armourall to make it slip on easily.

Chuck away the second rear rim-lock - what is this for? Even CR500's don't need them! replace it with a grommet it is only there to skin your knuckles and make you angry. :)

Take care - I pointed out the directional arrow on a mates new Desert Tyre fitted backwards before Finke last year - spewing. In january another mate tried fitting a paddle backwards - even to the extent of a traction test - very amusing. :D :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim_Bob

Posted April 04, 2002 - 05:52 PM

Get some metzeler tyre levers. They are the best and make the job alot easier. Also change the tyre when it is hot- after riding or by leaving it in the sun.
JB

• moto_madman

Posted April 04, 2002 - 06:46 PM

get a loud stereo and some hard and fast music. This is a big help when i do my tires. I use a milk crate, soapy water in a spray bottle, and two ten ich tire irons. They are a little short. I have recently ground all the sharp edges of two 3 foot pry bars. I havent had the chance to try them but i should be able to pop off any tire easily now. :) :D :D

• wrsm

Posted April 05, 2002 - 12:30 PM

Jim Bob has a good point. It makes such a difference if the tyre is warm & flexible.
Best to keep the new one in the house if its really cold weather - or use a heat gun nice & gently for a while.

• Jekel

Posted April 05, 2002 - 06:00 PM

For tire changing. 1: Make sure the tire is warm. 2: I use at least 4-5 tire irons placed 3-6 inches apart. 3: Start taking the tire off the rim, pull the tube and use two irons to pop the tire completely off. The new tire: make sure it is warm and I use Goop(yes, the hand cleaner) and do both beads. Usually will go right on the rim. May have to use the irons to set the last of the bead. Best of all, the goop allows the beads to pop out easily. I've changed many this way :D Including the people who ddon't know how to when they ride on our track :)

• Guy

Posted April 07, 2002 - 12:03 PM

:D Technique is not a problem (or so the Mrs says!) it's more a case of being sick of changing the damn things on the floor, with my trail irons, which are great in the middle of no-where but a Pain in the Butt in the garage! I use proper tyre soap, a bucket doesn't cost that much not compared to the agro it saves, I had a run of bad luck using washing up liquid as when it got wet, it would re-activate and get all slippy again! :)
I've seen a frame which holds the wheel at a comfy height and also has a bead breaker, I just may invest!!!! :D

• Ron_S

Posted April 07, 2002 - 12:56 PM

You guy's have to try Simple Green. Works like a charm. Also, a 33 gallon oil or grease barrel with the top cut off, and an old inner tube around the rim. Or, pay a bud $20.00, and watch!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.