2002 kawasaki kdx220R

56 replies to this topic
  • ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hi everyone.My brother just picked up a 2002 kawasaki kdx220R.Since that it was a second handed bike used by the pnwer himself it wasnt tookin care of properly and the bike was bone stock.So my brother had in mind to restore the bike to the 10's and than race it on the long distance trails and also on the road.He had his plan finally set and he decided to go all out on the bike and put every single mod ever built for the bike.This was gonna be a disaster for sure.So in terms of the body work the frame was gonna be repainted,new plastics,dual sport kit,maybe kayaba upside down forks.With the enitre engine in place he wanted to maximize the performance of the engine completely in terms of the motor,exhaust system,air box system, and carburetor.

kdx220R mods engine

- 240 cc big bore kit
- Nikasil, Chrome & Electro fusion Cylinder Plating

- port & polish
- boring and honing
- Re-sleeve cylinder (sleeve, boring, chamfering and piston fitting included)
- Crankshaft Rebuilding with High performance rods
- Computerized Two Stroke Porting
- engine balanceing
- hotrod connecting rods

kdx 220R carburetor
- bored out to a 36 mm sized carb (max size)
- nikesel plating
- port & polish
- re-jetted
- bigger fuel lines

kdx220R AIR FILTER/AIR BOX SYSTEM
- K&N AIRFILTER
- MODIFIED AIRBOX
- REMOVED AIR BOX LID

KDX220R AFTERMARKET BOLT ON PARTS
- FMF GNARLY gold series desert exhaust system
- FMF TURBINE CORE2/POWERCORE 2 SILENCER (DEBATING ON)
- PC PRO RACING SEAL (AIR BOX)
- V-FORCE DELTA 3 REED VALVE SYSTEM
- SCARYAST POWERNOW
- SCARYFAST POWERNOW PLUS
- moose racing torque ring/freddette (debating on)
- custom bracket reed spacer (gord busch)
- dual radiator kit

kdx220R transmission
- front sprocket sunstar 17 tooth
- rear sprocket sunstar 38 tooth
- barnett clutch kit
- JT chain
kdx220r accecories
- carbon fiber clutch cover
- carbon fiber engine cover
- carbon fiber sprocket cover
- rear carbon fiber chain cover
- skid plate
- kawasaki racing handle bar pad
- factory 909 racing handle bar
- frame guards
- vapor tech speedo
Thats all the stuff he wants to do to the bike and thats alot in my opinion i think its to much and hes done most of it already so yeah thats alot i dont no what the horsepower or torque ratings of the bike will be on the charts but i sure do want to know what it is when its all finished and done with but post comments of what you think it will make in terms of power and torque?thats my question to u guys.Also a complete restoration of the bike itself in terms of the body work,frame work,forks,and handle bar.Thanks guys merry christmas.Dont forget what do you think the horsepower and torque will be of the bike when this is all done?

• art5

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Your killin me, stop it

• kxracer987

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Hi everyone.My brother just picked up a 2002 kawasaki kdx220R.Since that it was a second handed bike used by the pnwer himself it wasnt tookin care of properly and the bike was bone stock.So my brother had in mind to restore the bike to the 10's and than race it on the long distance trails and also on the road.He had his plan finally set and he decided to go all out on the bike and put every single mod ever built for the bike.This was gonna be a disaster for sure.So in terms of the body work the frame was gonna be repainted,new plastics,dual sport kit,maybe kayaba upside down forks.With the enitre engine in place he wanted to maximize the performance of the engine completely in terms of the motor,exhaust system,air box system, and carburetor.

But I thought the stock forks were state of the art and hand built. Why would you want to replace those?

P.S. if you're brother actually does this, post up a vid.

• krazyinski

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

It is a waist at least 30% of the mods are, and with all the mods the engine will not likely run very well. reason ? some are incompatible with each other on the 220. The money would be more effective on building a Hybrid with a KX 125/220 with a pipe, reeds, RB designs Head and Carb work, suspension work.

I tried and did 60-75 % of the mods you listed on my KDX, and a 05 KX 250 with stock engine , suspension work and flywheel weight is a much nicer bike and more effective at higher speeds than the KDX ever was for half the money.

but then I am an aggressive rider.

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:04 AM

But I thought the stock forks were state of the art and hand built. Why would you want to replace those?

P.S. if you're brother actually does this, post up a vid.

well i meen it doesnt kill power but im getting a 2008 300 xc-w (e) from ktm and he wants to fully restore the bike but yet also modify it to the max.If all these mods were made to prove power for the bike than ovbiously it should make some sort of difference i meen what he did now is already alot of stuff on that lust there and he has some more other things to get before he completes the entre project itself.In my opinion i would say its gonna make a huge difference considering that every mod is gonna be on that bike.I have a 2005 kdx220R and i have the boyesen rad valve kit,fmf gnarly gold series desert pipe,fmf power core2 silencer,k&n airfilter, modified airbox,and carb rejetted.Thats 7 mods done to the bike and i felt the diference considering that out of those seven mods the pipe and the rad valave kit made the biggest diference out of them all but i felt the power throughout all it does make good combos hey this is the say "if its made for the bike its ment for the bike".When my bro had it stock in the summer when his project wasnt started yet we raced them head to head and he only got me of the start for not even half a second and i just took him hard after that i cant remeber how much bike lengths it was but i can tell you this much the mods made the diference and i know so cause ive tested it plus you seen my vids some people on these forums.Anyhow it is gonna be a nice project at hand for him and i know hen hes done it were gonna break in both our bikes and than race long distance in the long distance trails that are challenging and than obviously once in a while we will reach a point up ahead were theres a dirt long road and than yeah get to the other trails.We will also race my ktm 300 xc-w (e) against his moded kdx220R but i think this years 300 no matte rhow much mods he does to the bike will take him but i dont know its alot of mods so we will see.For sure stock the 2002 caus eof the technology yes the 300 would take but lets see with the mods its a tough one.

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:05 AM

It is a waist at least 30% of the mods are, and with all the mods the engine will not likely run very well. reason ? some are incompatible with each other on the 220. The money would be more effective on building a Hybrid with a KX 125/220 with a pipe, reeds, RB designs Head and Carb work, suspension work.

I tried and did 60-75 % of the mods you listed on my KDX, and a 05 KX 250 with stock engine , suspension work and flywheel weight is a much nicer bike and more effective at higher speeds than the KDX ever was for half the money.

but then I am an aggressive rider.

well i meen it doesnt kill power but im getting a 2008 300 xc-w (e) from ktm and he wants to fully restore the bike but yet also modify it to the max.If all these mods were made to prove power for the bike than ovbiously it should make some sort of difference i meen what he did now is already alot of stuff on that lust there and he has some more other things to get before he completes the entre project itself.In my opinion i would say its gonna make a huge difference considering that every mod is gonna be on that bike.I have a 2005 kdx220R and i have the boyesen rad valve kit,fmf gnarly gold series desert pipe,fmf power core2 silencer,k&n airfilter, modified airbox,and carb rejetted.Thats 7 mods done to the bike and i felt the diference considering that out of those seven mods the pipe and the rad valave kit made the biggest diference out of them all but i felt the power throughout all it does make good combos hey this is the say "if its made for the bike its ment for the bike".When my bro had it stock in the summer when his project wasnt started yet we raced them head to head and he only got me of the start for not even half a second and i just took him hard after that i cant remeber how much bike lengths it was but i can tell you this much the mods made the diference and i know so cause ive tested it plus you seen my vids some people on these forums.Anyhow it is gonna be a nice project at hand for him and i know hen hes done it were gonna break in both our bikes and than race long distance in the long distance trails that are challenging and than obviously once in a while we will reach a point up ahead were theres a dirt long road and than yeah get to the other trails.We will also race my ktm 300 xc-w (e) against his moded kdx220R but i think this years 300 no matte rhow much mods he does to the bike will take him but i dont know its alot of mods so we will see.For sure stock the 2002 caus eof the technology yes the 300 would take but lets see with the mods its a tough one.

• Jeekinz

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

This may be a dumb question but,

....couldn't he just buy a KX250?

• scalejockey

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

Nikasil,chrome, electro fusion,re-sleeve cylinder w/bore and hone . Witch one???
Who makes a 240 big bore for an already big bore 200(220) cylinder ?

• kxracer987

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

Nikasil,chrome, electro fusion,re-sleeve cylinder w/bore and hone . Witch one???

Eric Gore bores kdx cylinders out to 240.:banghead:

• kxracer987

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

What?:banghead:

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

all those mods

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

What?:banghead:

what i meant was that the kdx that i have will have no match against the 220 that my brother is going to be moding for this year.and the 300 i am getting will soon run against his and we will see who wins in the straight aways on helmet cam just to test the bikes performace

• kxracer987

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

what i meant was that the kdx that i have will have no match against the 220 that my brother is going to be moding for this year.and the 300 i am getting will soon run against his and we will see who wins in the straight aways on helmet cam just to test the bikes performace

Okay.:banghead:

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

Okay.:banghead:

yeah man happy motoring :busted: :D .:D .yeah i dont no whos gonna win this one lol.

• ebeck

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

Arghh, you back again? The bike will have 65 hp. KTM's are better. The 300 has like 90 hp.

Now go to the KTM forum where you all can slap yourselves on the back, not that I believe for a second that you are getting one, or that you know someone with a 220 and those mods, or that you have a 200 for that matter.

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU SAY
MOST NEW BIKES ARE BETTER OVERALL THAN THE KDX
I DON'T RECALL ANYONE SAYING THE KDX WAS THE BEST (EXCEPT YOU ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO 6 MONTHS AGO)

You are the same guy who used to harass the CRF230 forum, CRFkilla and other names?? Yeah, yeah, it is you.

• scalejockey

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:26 AM

"All those mods" ?? Cylinder surface is not a mod.

I take it the Eric Gore 240 kit has to come with a sleeve for it to work?? Does he use a kx 250 piston?? I'm not sure how being the stroke is a lot different, If so i'd like to put one of those top ends on a kx 125 for trail riding.

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

I take it the Eric Gore 240 kit has to come with a sleeve for it to work?? Does he use a kx 250 piston?? I'm not sure how being the stroke is a lot different, If so i'd like to put one of those top ends on a kx 125 for trail riding.

um well the insid eof the block is bored and than he uses the 70mm piston and i think he sleeves it guarenteed.

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Arghh, you back again? The bike will have 65 hp. KTM's are better. The 300 has like 90 hp.

Now go to the KTM forum where you all can slap yourselves on the back, not that I believe for a second that you are getting one, or that you know someone with a 220 and those mods, or that you have a 200 for that matter.

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU SAY
MOST NEW BIKES ARE BETTER OVERALL THAN THE KDX
I DON'T RECALL ANYONE SAYING THE KDX WAS THE BEST (EXCEPT YOU ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO 6 MONTHS AGO)

You are the same guy who used to harass the CRF230 forum, CRFkilla and other names?? Yeah, yeah, it is you.

hey im not that guy and i dont care much for those beginner 4-stroke 250's anyways.what do i have to say about those bikes when all they are beginnner bikes man i dont care cause i only luike race enduros i already exceeded that point man i had a ttr 125 from yamaha 3 years ago and i just trained with it but i wa sinto that stuff all my life.look man u accuse to much take itr easy its christmas lets not fight bout stupididty.And if u say i talked than how would u figure that i only talk abput kawasaki and ktm.I only go on those forums i dont think i ever looked at those yamaha.honda,suzuki forums in my entire life i dont care much for the affordable biggenier bike man but yeah ther ereally good to there race ones

• kxracer987

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

He replates the cylinder. Here is what his web site says.
Cylinder fits 1995-2006 Kaw KDX200/220. Big bore 240cc cylinder, ported by Eric Gorr, fresh NICOM plating, and Wiseco piston kit.
Price: $449

Free UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.

Scroll down to the kawasaki part and that is where it is located.:banghead:

EDIT: lol, I forgot to put in the site you are supposed to scroll down in. http://www.eric-gorr...tbikeparts.html

• ktmktmktm300300300

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

He replates the cylinder. Here is what his web site says.
Cylinder fits 1995-2006 Kaw KDX200/220. Big bore 240cc cylinder, ported by Eric Gorr, fresh NICOM plating, and Wiseco piston kit.
Price: $449

Free UPS ground shipping in the continental USA.

Scroll down to the kawasaki part and that is where it is located.:banghead:

i think so yes correct havent seen the site yet but he has done most of those mods i have put down for the engine itself

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone else restoring a kx 125/250? by NzJohny

• Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I to small for a 125 or 250 by MostWanted117

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 21 replies
Forums
Photo

proper break in for kx250 top end rebuild by theiceman97

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

06 KX 250 Build by AggressiveGraphix967

• Hot  34 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.