k&n

16 replies to this topic
  • stevilkanevil

Posted December 23, 2007 - 10:13 AM

do i need to jet if i install a k&N AIR FILTER

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 23, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I personally have had bad results with the K&N: I got fine dust in my intake boot, no matter how I serviced the filter. It also has a less suface area than the Foam filters.
I went to a UNI.

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:02 AM

if thats all you do, no. with free flowing exhaust, yes. i also dont recomend K&N. they let too much fine particulate through IMHO. i like UNI foam 2 stage filters.

• tgstoken

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:42 AM

I had a K&N on my 650L and I agree, there was fine dust in the engine side of the intake boot. I just switched to a Twin Air foam filter and it seems more protective.

• PMAZ7

Posted December 23, 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'm just not a "fan" of the way the UNI fits into the airbox.

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:13 PM

on the L, it fits ok. you just have to use the sealing grease around the base.

i know one thing, even with the fit of the k&n being a little better, the uni still filters betters and still flows well. no dirt on the inside surface of the intake.

• tgstoken

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:23 PM

The Twin Air filter I have seals better than the K&N and it has a 2 stage foam element like the UNI. I'll try to get a pic up.

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:24 PM

The Twin Air filter I have seals better than the K&N and it has a 2 stage foam element like the UNI. I'll try to get a pic up.

you ride L or R?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tgstoken

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Here's a pic of the Twin Air filter in my 650L. The filter is 2 stage, has a rigid plastic skeleton inside and has a very tight fit to the airbox, no grease needed. And no, my bike NEVER gets cleaned. :banghead:
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 03:15 PM

i thought this is what an airbox is supposed to look like!

Posted Image

• tgstoken

Posted December 23, 2007 - 04:32 PM

i thought this is what an airbox is supposed to look like!

Sorry Martinfan, the pod filter you use is not really the best choice up here in the wet northwest washington area. If you drop your bike in the mud/water, the airbox affords some protection.

• martinfan30

Posted December 23, 2007 - 04:36 PM

ya i hear ya. im actually thinking of putting the airbox back together and putting the battery under the seat. a crf450x battery is smaller and will crank a 650 over with a hi comp piston no prob.

• Denn10

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:23 PM

UNI or Twin air there both good and you can use grease on sealing surface its just a little more help to make sure you dont have something get through, its does no harm at all only a little insurance.

• weskc35k

Posted December 24, 2007 - 02:01 AM

Don't do it man.
Step away from the K&N.

• Frank ZX

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:03 AM

With all due respect,Your not going to like dirt getting in your engine either.I was going to put one on my XRL,but everyone talked me out of it.I had a K&N on my Mustang,and fine dust passes right thru.
The Uni and Twin Air filters are much better filters for a bike.
Just my and others $0.02

• stevilkanevil

Posted December 24, 2007 - 02:08 PM

although i do some dirt, most of my ridding is back and forth to work on pavement. Im new to this whole thing and appreciate all the advice.

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:19 AM

i wouldnt use one if even just a little riding is done on dirt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.