01 WR 426 piston and rings.

7 replies to this topic
  • risktaker

Posted December 22, 2007 - 06:45 PM

I did a search and was unable to locate info about this. So I am posting.

I have an 01 WR 426 that I purchased about 6 months ago. So far so good. I have I have great compression and power and the valves have recently been checked. I have read where people ride the yzfs 1 season and then replace the piston and rings. I am not racing, nor did the previous owner. I ride it hard as it was meant to be ridden but do not abuse it.

The bike has 4500 miles on it. I can hear a slight piston slapping when the engine is under load and lower rpms. It could be the 93 octane I am running since it calls for 94 in the manual. There is no gas station around my area that sells higher than 93 octane. I do add some octane booster when I am able.

My question is: Do I need to replace the piston and/or rings? I just don't want to break the skirting off the piston or anything. Any advice any of you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Birdy426

Posted December 22, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Mine had more than 7000 miles on it when the primary drive nut came loose and let the gear trash the splines on the crank. When I rebuilt it, the bore was slightly ovulated and the piston was a couple thou undersize, so it was time to replace...your mileage may vary...

For what it's worth, I am the second owner of the bike, and it was used by both the previous owner and I for fairly fast desert riding. Filter changes after every riding day, and oil and filter changes after every trip to the des.

• risktaker

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the response. From what I have read, that nut problem was fixed on the 01. I hope.
This WR was woods ridden and that's what I also do with it. It is also ridden on the roads since it's street legal. I guess I will let it ride for a while longer.

Anything I should listen or look for as an indicator of a need for replacement?

Thanks again.

• Birdy426

Posted December 23, 2007 - 12:12 AM

Don't count on the nut problem being ficksed for 01s...mine is an 01. The difference is that in 01 the gear is splined instead of keyed to the shaft. It's an easy check...just drain the oil, disconnect the brake lever, and pull the wet side cover...it will be staring you inthe face.

As gray says, these motors are a bit noisy, especially if you have a skid plate on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • risktaker

Posted December 23, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Don't count on the nut problem being ficksed for 01s...mine is an 01. The difference is that in 01 the gear is splined instead of keyed to the shaft. It's an easy check...just drain the oil, disconnect the brake lever, and pull the wet side cover...it will be staring you inthe face.

As gray says, these motors are a bit noisy, especially if you have a skid plate on.

I will definitely check it out now. Did you mean disconnect the clutch lever though? Not sure where the brake lever would come into play. I just looked at the cover, is it o-ring or gasket sealed? I like o-ring since they are reusable. So there is enough room to see past the clutch and see the nut? That nut would be toward the front of the motor in front of the clutch, correct?

Thanks again for the advice. I really like the bike.

• Birdy426

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:29 AM

You have to disconnect the rear brake pedal at the master cylinder to rotate it out of the way so you can get the cover off. I'm talking about taking off the whole r/h side cover, not just the clutch cover, so I forgot tomention that you have to drain the coolant and take the hoses off the waterpump...There is a gasket there, not an o-ring.

• risktaker

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:41 AM

You have to disconnect the rear brake pedal at the master cylinder to rotate it out of the way so you can get the cover off. I'm talking about taking off the whole r/h side cover, not just the clutch cover, so I forgot tomention that you have to drain the coolant and take the hoses off the waterpump...There is a gasket there, not an o-ring.

Okay. I understand what you mean now. I will pick up a new gasket before taking it apart. I have wrenched on bikes since I have been 11 years old and enjoy it as a hobby. So I look forward to projects like this. Taking cases off are no problem. I have split many cases in my life and never enjoy going in that deep but will if needed. I recently has to replace some gears in a DR 650. Not too bad of a job, just time consuming. This check on the WR will be a breeze compared to the DR.

Thanks again for the advice.

• risktaker

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Birdy,

I just looked at your 426. Wow! White plastic. That thing looks great! I like the headlight also. Nice job.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.