Oil Drain Plug rounded can't get off

7 replies to this topic
  • amcdaniel

Posted December 22, 2007 - 02:53 PM

OK so just went with the 51 tooth sprocket and longer chain, will order a new smaller sprocket after XMas, at least me wheelies should be easier till then.

No the problem I have now is the drain plug bolt has being completely destroyed by the last owner, it is completely rounded and wont move.

I have filled 2 sides as flat as possible and tried using a vice grips but it just rounds off again. The only thing I can think off is to weld a bolt onto it and try that, anyone know is it aluminium or steel bolt.

Anyone have any other ideas I could try or a easy way to drain with out taking the bolt out as I won't be able to get the welding done for another 2 weeks.
Thanks
Andrew

• Darkplague

Posted December 22, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Try a small pipe wrench or "Stilsons"

Ordinary vice grips flex too much.

Or drill out the plug and use ezy- outs .

• oakhillbiker

Posted December 22, 2007 - 04:32 PM

use a dremal cut a slit for a screwdriver dont go too deep abuut 1/8 inch so metal dont get inside. use a big screwdriver hope it works'' ps do it when bike is hot''

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 22, 2007 - 05:06 PM

The slot in the head is a good idea. Try tapping the screwdiver, on the end, with a hammer while trying to turn it. Sometimes the shock will help knock it loose. I had this same thing happen to the Warrior I bought the ol' lady, the oil drain plug head was completely stripped and I couldn't get any tool to stay on to loosen it. So I tried something different. I used a hammer & chisel and came from the side. First, I chiseled straight into the bolt, from the side, a little then angled it so it would move counter-clockwise. About 5 good swings into it and wallah, it was loose. Hope this helps. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted December 22, 2007 - 11:28 PM

:banghead:

wallah:

Voilà :busted:

(Lots of idle time on my hands - two weeks off!)

• amcdaniel

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:19 AM

Thanks guys, tried the dremmel idea, unfortunately the it was so badly damaged when I applied the pressure to turn it, 2 of the sides just sheered off, so will try the cheisel and see if that works. Thanks guys

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:26 AM

:busted:

Voilà :D

Are you serious? TT now has spell check. :banghead:

• SXP

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:55 AM

Are you serious? TT now has spell check. :banghead:

Dead serious. What does "wallah" mean (unless you meant voilà)?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.