Xl600R/XR650L Hybrid

171 replies to this topic
  • zrxer

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Alright, ignore my previous post. I'm getting back on this thing with a renewed interest.  I can't believe it's been nearly 7 years since I started this cluster!!!! lol.

Okay, so I've decided to go all XR650L on the engine. That will for sure cure the starting issue. I have the stock head that came with the bottom end that I'm using but had to purchase a cylinder as I used the original cylinder for another build. The original rocker cover was broken so I purchased one of those a well. I have two cams to choose from--an HRC 628 copy or a Megacycle 148X9--both of which still have the auto-decomp attatched. So, with the starting issue dealt with, I'm much more excited to get this thing moving forward.

To you guys who have been with me from the start--if there are any of you left :) --I apologize for dragging this thing out for so long and I WILL finish this project.

Although I have a few other bikes I'm working on as well, this one will take priority.

Since everyone likes pics, here's one of the head and the other ebay parts and two of my three helpers. Hopefully I'll have more productive photos soon. 

DSC02611_zps8a755126.jpg

• Hedchange

Posted October 21, 2014 - 11:57 PM

Hey Bruce, glad to here you got a renewed interest in this.  I really good build going on.  I actually found the thread on ADV long before this one but glad to see that it is started back up again.  Good Luck

• zrxer

Posted October 22, 2014 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Hedchange, I appreciate it.

• brianhare

Posted October 23, 2014 - 03:15 AM

Do i have to start pm`n you here and ADVrider like a stalker for you to get on this...... :devil:

i`m gonna have to keep an eye on this thread,,and every 3 days harrass you to death till you keep at it,,you must have a really short attention span or sumpin.. :p

no way in hell i could leave a project unfinished that long to trip over in my garage..smarten up..or i`ll come down there..

oh...use the Megacycle cam..

B

Edited by brianhare, October 23, 2014 - 03:17 AM.

• zrxer

Posted October 23, 2014 - 03:52 AM

lol! :banana:

• Carter Pewterschmidt

Posted October 23, 2014 - 07:04 AM

What have you been doing in the meantime?  Starting a cat collection?

• zrxer

Posted October 23, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Nah, I'm way past starting. ;)

• brianhare

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:15 PM

tick,tock,, :rolleyes:

we`s waitin...

:lol:

B

• zrxer

Posted November 02, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Decided to get on the engine. Removed the top end....

DSC02612_zpsa1cedabb.jpg

and cleaned up the future top end. Ready for machine work.

DSC02614_zpsd97e5326.jpg

Now to get the bottom end prepped for paint.

DSC02613_zpsf89e0347.jpg

• Fingers

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:18 PM

What are your plans/ solution for an air box for the single carb?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxer

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:52 PM

What are your plans/ solution for an air box for the single carb?

Well, if it comes down to it, I'll use a bolt-on foam filter but that's a last resort.

I read somewhere--I think it was here--but a gentleman was able to convert a dual carb XR600 to single and used the single airbox with little or no mods, so that's what I'm going to attempt first.

• davidbogart

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hey zrxer , I did the dual to single engine conversion with no mods except bending the front right side cover mount out a tad to keep it from rubbing the airbox to carb boot. Other than that the airbox for the 88 was identical except the boot that mounts to the airbox is of course a single not dual and is a lager diameter. You can change out the boot on a dual airbox with a 88-89 single for sure maybe later years if all the single airboxes are the same. I have the original dual airbox in fair usable shape u can have for free . Pm me if you do need it. I will bring it to you next time I'm up your way

Edited by davidbogart, November 03, 2014 - 09:17 AM.

• Fingers

Posted November 03, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I got a 95 XR 250 R shock off ebay, it's about the same length as the 85-88 XR 600 shock with a 40mm body vice 36mm. It has the short hose reservoir. The long hose available for the earlier shocks have straight fittings on one or both ends, this shock has banjos on both ends so it will be difficult to get a longer hose. Will the short hose fit somewhere without cutting the airbox?
Second question is about the extra length, does the 1 inch extra length cause any issues with the swing arm or linkage being extended that extra bit? Eye to eye on the 250 shock is about 15 1/2 inches (1 more than stock) I have 93 650L forks going in the front so I want the extra rear boost. Preciate the pointers......

• zrxer

Posted November 03, 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hey zrxer , I did the dual to single engine conversion with no mods except bending the front right side cover mount out a tad to keep it from rubbing the airbox to carb boot. Other than that the airbox for the 88 was identical except the boot that mounts to the airbox is of course a single not dual and is a lager diameter. You can change out the boot on a dual airbox with a 88-89 single for sure maybe later years if all the single airboxes are the same. I have the original dual airbox in fair usable shape u can have for free . Pm me if you do need it. I will bring it to you next time I'm up your way

Hey Dave! Thanks for the offer but I think I'm good.

I got a 95 XR 250 R shock off ebay, it's about the same length as the 85-88 XR 600 shock with a 40mm body vice 36mm. It has the short hose reservoir. The long hose available for the earlier shocks have straight fittings on one or both ends, this shock has banjos on both ends so it will be difficult to get a longer hose. Will the short hose fit somewhere without cutting the airbox?
Second question is about the extra length, does the 1 inch extra length cause any issues with the swing arm or linkage being extended that extra bit? Eye to eye on the 250 shock is about 15 1/2 inches (1 more than stock) I have 93 650L forks going in the front so I want the extra rear boost. Preciate the pointers......

That's a good question Fingers. Unfortunately I have no insite to share with you regarding either of your questions. You're just going to have to try it and see what happens, I guess.

Good luck, man.

• zrxer

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:52 AM

Nothing too exciting to report but I've been fitting an XR600 airbox.
Had to do a little chopping to get it to fit reasonably.

DSC02732_zpscuk76dap.jpg
DSC02733_zpsqfpxepb5.jpg

Trimmed some at the lower right here in this pic.
Only one mount lined up with the XL frame--upper left. Planning on drilling a hole and bolt with a spacer at the lower right mount and maybe a sort of clamp bracket for the remaining mount to the left.

DSC02734_zpshllbodwv.jpg

Had to carve some out here as well to miss that frame bracket. It looks like I went overboard there but there was a cracked mount there I wasn't going to use so I removed it.
I'll get someone who knows how to fab to box that cavity in.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the open side either. I could probably leave it open and it wouldn't hurt anything as this bike won't see off-road and it will be hidden behind the side cover but I may have a cover built for it.
I need to get the engine assembled and in the bike before I mount this box--gotta make sure it's in the correct place.
Speaking of the engine, I'm back to working on it too. I have contacted a member here about porting and assembling the 650L head.

Stay tuned. Things are gonna start happening. icon10.gif

• zrxer

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:54 AM

I may be getting a little ahead of myself but I have a nice wheel set on the way. :)

• brianhare

Posted May 19, 2015 - 01:15 PM

:devil:    WOW   2007 you started this eh,,you are some fast gettin stuff done huh... :lol:

B

• brianhare

Posted May 19, 2015 - 01:18 PM

What did you do with the cam and rockers i sold ya Bruce?????????

B

• zrxer

Posted May 19, 2015 - 04:51 PM

:devil:    WOW   2007 you started this eh,,you are some fast gettin stuff done huh... :lol:

B

I know.......what a slacker. :rant:

What did you do with the cam and rockers i sold ya Bruce?????????

B

Still have them, Brian. I'll find a use for them at some point. ;)

• zrxer

Posted May 21, 2015 - 05:38 PM

The wheels are here. :)

DSC02740_zpsd6azejt3.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.