Bigger sprocket (51 tooth) causing problems

2 replies to this topic
  • amcdaniel

Posted December 22, 2007 - 03:07 AM

Hi folks,
As some of you may have noticed I have a small amount of experience with bike maintenance but none with WR's. I have a 98 400 which needs alot of work. Today I am fitting new chain and sprockets, my problem is the local parts supplier only had a 51 tooth rear sprocket. There was a 49 on it already.

The problem is that with the back wheel as far forward as it can go the chain on the sprocket wont fit through the chain guide on the bottom of the swing arm. It just runs straight into it.

I'm thinking the only solution is to set the wheel half way back, leaving the chain one link longer to accomodate. Then once the chain has stretched so the wheel is back as far as it can go, drop another link and move wheel forward to half way point again.

What do you guys think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzabb

Posted December 22, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Personally I would search the net and bike mags for Ireland/UK dealers and get the actual sprocket you NEED delivered.
49 to 51 is a fair reduction in gearing, if you don't need to lower the gearing stick with a 49.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:09 AM

Going from a 49 to a 51 is a small jump, your going to need a chain that is longer then the one that was on the bike. With a long enough chain, the wheel should sit back plenty far to be able to clear the chain guide and still have room for ajustment. Jeff S

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.