Heli-coil kits??

9 replies to this topic
  • ty151

Posted December 21, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone ever used a Heli-coil or similar kit to fix threads. I recently found the threads were stripped pretty badly on the retention screw for the auto decompression deal on my 03 wr450. i went to install a decompression plub and couldnt even get it tight, it would just spin.

I was just wondering what guys think about these kits? Do they work and which one do you gusy suggest???Thanks a lot

• WR_Dave

Posted December 21, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I think that the helicoil kits are ok but you have to drill out a fair amount of material to go to the helicoil size so it's up to you. I replied to your other post with my recommendations for a repair. My .02 -- WR Dave

• creeky

Posted December 21, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have lost count of how many heli-coils repairs that I have made. It is practically a permanent fix, but there has to be enough metal around the stripped hole in order to drill the hole out to cut the threads for the heli-coil insert.

• Ibis

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Heli coil kits work great and are nice to have around when needed. I keep on hand an M5x0.8, M6x1.0, and M8x1.25, all with various coil lengths.

• ty151

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:38 PM

yea i have heard good things about them. How hard is it to do???

And do you guys think there is enough metal around the hole that holds the decompression plug in??? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:31 PM

Isn't that a coincidence, there is a banner for timesert.com right at the bottom of the posts. I have never had to use iether but take a look at the timeserts. I have looked at both and think that in some cases a timesert is the better choice to use.

• ty151

Posted December 22, 2007 - 12:05 AM

yea i think both look good. What size would i need? M6? Thanks

• tmckeown

Posted December 22, 2007 - 01:23 AM

I use tru-coil which is similar to helicoil

Timo McKeown

• WR_Dave

Posted December 22, 2007 - 07:06 AM

If there is enough metal to support the bolt then I would use the insert style of thread repair over the helicoils. When using helicoils you must be extra careful to not over-tighten the fastener and pull the helicoil out of the hole. :banghead: WR Dave.

• ty151

Posted December 23, 2007 - 01:33 AM

yea i might use the method you gave me WRDAVE...it seems like its more reasonable for my situation...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.