scotts damper oil fill mount

50 replies to this topic
  • miguelitro

Posted December 23, 2007 - 07:01 AM

well the rear mount has a shorter arm than the front which would lower the leverage on the damper... but i dont really know

• danny v

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:09 PM

The mounting of the scotts is not on the oil fill inlet. The scott comes with a clamp that goes around the steering head tube and clamps on with two allen bolts in a two pc,unit. The post only looks like it is attached to the oil port but it is not,the post sits just in front of the fill hole with not much room to remove the fill plug with it installed.The scotts units are great and the cust.serv is great Hope this helped good luck: :banghead:

• Denn10

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:13 PM

The mounting of the scotts is not on the oil fill inlet. The scott comes with a clamp that goes around the steering head tube and clamps on with two allen bolts in a two pc,unit. The post only looks like it is attached to the oil port but it is not,the post sits just in front of the fill hole with not much room to remove the fill plug with it installed.The scotts units are great and the cust.serv is great Hope this helped good luck: :banghead:

EXAXCTLY what i was trying to tell him:bonk: , must not think very rationally since he thinks it mounts to the dipstick tube:banghead: TY for the backup Danny

• danny v

Posted December 23, 2007 - 11:28 PM

I know from recent events i could not focus on my bike because i was so pissed off at the guy that sold it to me.You remember 7 weeks of hair pulling and then after you and martinfan30,xr650l_dave,cleonard and krannie talked with me waa laa....... varooommmmmmm !!! 15 min to find the problem,10 min to repair it (Done)! We are all very sharp however we all have moments of (I just cant focus ) :banghead: :busted: :D

• haggeo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 04:22 AM

customer service is great they will stay on the phone as long as it takes to help an will answer emails by asking you to call. anyway, my oil fill is completely taken up by the scotts mount. it is inside the hole. there are some mounts that clamp around the steering head tube but the xr uses the forward mount or the oil fill hole.

• Suikerland

Posted December 24, 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have the Scotts damper / oil fill mount on my XR650R. I have an Acerbis 6 gallon tank. I don't have to remove the tank to change the oil, that would kill me.

To change oil, it takes about 2 mins to remove the steering damper post and the bolt that goes in the oil fill hole. No big deal. Only problem is, the new bolt that goes in the oil fill hole doesn't have a dipstick to check oil, so you either have to carry your old dipstick around with you, or (best solution) get an oil sight tube fitted on the frame, so you can check oil level visually while riding.

If you're planning on getting the oil filler mount for the Scotts damper, you might as well pay a bit extra and get an oil sight tube fitted at the same time. Then the only time you have to remove the damper post is to change oil.

I'm happy with my set-up, no complaints.

Here's some pics... the big bolt is what goes in the oil filler hole. The damper post attaches to that with a circular clamp.
In the first pic, you can just see the top of the oil sight tube, below the damper post near bottom of pic.

No comments about the dirty bike, it's been dumped in sand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• haggeo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 02:34 PM

that's the set up i have except i have a clarke tank and do have to remove it to add oil. i do have the oil sight tube also. might have to sell the clarke and get an acerbis tank that does not interfere with the oil fill.

• Suikerland

Posted December 24, 2007 - 04:27 PM

that's the set up i have except i have a clarke tank and do have to remove it to add oil. i do have the oil sight tube also. might have to sell the clarke and get an acerbis tank that does not interfere with the oil fill.

I've never heard of having to remove a tank to fill oil. Maybe with the Clarke, I don't know. But that seems strange to me.

• haggeo

Posted December 24, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I've never heard of having to remove a tank to fill oil. Maybe with the Clarke, I don't know. But that seems strange to me.

strange but true. it just covers the edge of the scotts filler mount. when i mentioned this on the phone to the guy at scotts he said "oh, you have a clarke tank" before i told him what brand of tank i had.

• miguelitro

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:14 PM

WRONG

EXAXCTLY what i was trying to tell him:bonk: , must not think very rationally since he thinks it mounts to the dipstick tube:banghead: TY for the backup Danny

Wrong

Try again guys, I am no amatuer to motorcycles, nor to honda thumpers, being on my 3rd one.

i also specified that it didn't mount IN the hole but around the BUNG which you can google if you don't know what it is.

i don't mean to get on your cases here or act like a know-it-all, but if you are not going to respond with help in answering my question please do not respond(or send me bad gas:busted: :busted: )!

NOW!-
to those who actually use this set-up and responded, a big thank you. i am gonna go ahead with this set up for now and wanted a oil sight tube on my last BRP and I think this one will get one!:D :D :D

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:17 PM

customer service is great they will stay on the phone as long as it takes to help an will answer emails by asking you to call. anyway, my oil fill is completely taken up by the scotts mount. it is inside the hole. there are some mounts that clamp around the steering head tube but the xr uses the forward mount or the oil fill hole.

and x2 on scotts being helpfull, I actually heard about this product from their CS guy on the phone and figured someone here might have it. Gotta love TT for great information(and a little MISinformation to keep things lively)

thanks again
Mike

• scott_01_xr400

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have that exact setup on my XR400. I thought it would be a problem with trying to check the oil etc. I have the dipstick, and the allen wrenches to remove the damper and mount in my tool-roll. I can take it off and check it and have it back on in a couple minutes. It was so LITTLE of a problem, I never did by the other permanent mount I thought I was going to get to replace the oil filler mount. If the price was the same, I would get the more permanent one but I got my dipstick mount on ebay for a fraction of the price so it was by far a better deal to go that way for me.

• Suikerland

Posted December 24, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I thought the oil-filler mount (or whetever it's called) was the most common Scotts mount. Well it's the only one I've ever seen in use.
I've seen pics of the forward mount, but never anyone using it :banghead:

• Denn10

Posted December 24, 2007 - 09:24 PM

and x2 on scotts being helpfull, I actually heard about this product from their CS guy on the phone and figured someone here might have it. Gotta love TT for great information(and a little MISinformation to keep things lively)

thanks again
Mike

WOOOOPIEEEEE DOOOOOOO theres 2 ways to mount it!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: If you know so damn much then why are you asking anyways?????:busted: :D :D

• danny v

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:32 PM

Here Here denn10 ! Some people just like to stir the pot. Personaly I do not wish to involve my time with such people ! If it is a true misunderstanding it is one thing, however if it is one of (I am pissed off at the world) then one must realize ( YOUR LIFE IS YOUR OWN FAULT !) For what it is worth my friend shad has a 1996 XR600R like mine and he has the scotts mounted just as i said earlier ! Nothing is touching the fill port for the oil !! Miguelitro, all the guys are here to help each other including you. We should all cool our jets and get focused on the issue at hand,your scotts mounting ! I for one have been on motocross tracks,hill climbs and trials bikes at the age of 13. I am now 53 and still ask questions and do not know it all (ALMOST)!There is a wealth of information between all the guys here and they are all willing to help,so it might behoove you not to insult everyone by saying that we all do not know what we are talking about,when perhaps it is you who has a problem defining your question. If this only your third bike maybe on your 20 some number bike you will have learned that there are so many ways to do things other than by the book ! The book is only a starting point, then you turn on the plasma cutter and the tig welder and you do your thing like a lot of us here do. I am only saying if we all can help each other and not be rude it would be great, however it is a not so perfect world is it ? I wish you the best of luck with your scotts/mount and just know the guys are here to help everyone out with the best of intentions (I think,for what it is worth) DANNY V :banghead:

• miguelitro

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:44 PM

Here Here denn10 ! Some people just like to stir the pot. Personaly I do not wish to involve my time with such people ! If it is a true misunderstanding it is one thing, however if it is one of (I am pissed off at the world) then one must realize ( YOUR LIFE IS YOUR OWN FAULT !) For what it is worth my friend shad has a 1996 XR600R like mine and he has the scotts mounted just as i said earlier ! Nothing is touching the fill port for the oil !! Miguelitro, all the guys are here to help each other including you. We should all cool our jets and get focused on the issue at hand,your scotts mounting ! I for one have been on motocross tracks,hill climbs and trials bikes at the age of 13. I am now 53 and still ask questions and do not know it all (ALMOST)!There is a wealth of information between all the guys here and they are all willing to help,so it might behoove you not to insult everyone by saying that we all do not know what we are talking about,when perhaps it is you who has a problem defining your question. If this only your third bike maybe on your 20 some number bike you will have learned that there are so many ways to do things other than by the book ! The book is only a starting point, then you turn on the plasma cutter and the tig welder and you do your thing like a lot of us here do. I am only saying if we all can help each other and not be rude it would be great, however it is a not so perfect world is it ? I wish you the best of luck with your scotts/mount and just know the guys are here to help everyone out with the best of intentions (I think,for what it is worth) DANNY V :banghead:

:busted::ride:

• Denn10

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:43 AM

Here Here denn10 ! Some people just like to stir the pot. Personaly I do not wish to involve my time with such people ! If it is a true misunderstanding it is one thing, however if it is one of (I am pissed off at the world) then one must realize ( YOUR LIFE IS YOUR OWN FAULT !)

only one trying to stir the pot is Miguel with his ignorant stupid PM he sent me!!! So what everyone else thinks doesnt matter when they dont know all the facts. Enough said as i will personally never give 2 shits what Miguel asks in the future after how he acted towards me from this post. Trying to be a bad ass on a thread and PM is about as lame as it gets!! If you dont like what people post then dont reply as thats how im treating the KID from now on!! AND sent PM to mod to expalin myself anyways so i doubt it will be a problem with people sending smart azz pms again.

• danny v

Posted December 26, 2007 - 07:47 PM

HERE-HERE :banghead: I agree ! :busted: Well said ! Some people just don't get it. :D
Life is short, ride and have fun make someone laugh ! :D

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:51 PM

only one trying to stir the pot is Miguel with his ignorant stupid PM he sent me!!! So what everyone else thinks doesnt matter when they dont know all the facts. Enough said as i will personally never give 2 shits what Miguel asks in the future after how he acted towards me from this post. Trying to be a bad ass on a thread and PM is about as lame as it gets!! If you dont like what people post then dont reply as thats how im treating the KID from now on!! AND sent PM to mod to expalin myself anyways so i doubt it will be a problem with people sending smart azz pms again.

LOL DENN! havent even been back 2 weeks and your back in it! ATTA BOY!:banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:54 PM

HERE-HERE :banghead: I agree ! :busted: Well said ! Some people just don't get it. :D
Life is short, ride and have fun make someone laugh ! :D

this is all i want to do!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.