Slipping clutch on Xr650. Learned a trick. Photo's.

8 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:42 AM

I was 100 miles into a 650 mile desert ride when I noticed my clutch started slipping. I only noticed it under hard throttle in 5th gear. This was a 3 day trip and I was prepared to head back to the truck.

Fortunately, the guys I was with made a few phone calls and one suggestion was to put a shoelace between one of the clutch plates. Anything to provide a little friction. The only thing we could come up with was a cotton/poly shoelace which did the trick. That got me through another 150 miles of sand where we replaced the lace with a nice leather lace we bought.

With the leather lace in there, I wasn't able to use my clutch lever, so I had to bang the bike into first gear and hope for the best. Once moving, I just shifted without a clutch. Fortunately, there wasn't much shifting required for the jeep trails we were riding. Mostly 5th gear stuff.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with the group.

This is mile 100 when I thought my ride was over.
Posted Image

In goes the lace and off I went!
Posted Image

This is the upgraded "Timberland" lace I bought in Primm. That lasted the next 400 miles. Infact, when I took it apart at home, the lace was still intact.
Posted Image

Full ride report in the California section under "Chicken Ranch"

• martinfan30

Posted December 21, 2007 - 11:09 AM

LOL! good ol american ingenuity!

• Troy_Bell

Posted December 21, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Is that Russ in the KTM garb fixing your Honda?

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 21, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Go back with a 7 fiber and 6 steel OEM pack and you'll never have another problem.:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted December 21, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I had 17500 miles on the clutch. I'm not complaining!

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:04 PM

I had 17500 miles on the clutch. I'm not complaining!

WOW, I put one in about every season.17,500 is unreal.

• slowxr

Posted December 21, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, I thought I got good wear out of it. I messured the plates and they were actually still well withing spec's.
Maybe the springs were weak? I didn't have a way of messuring them.

In any rate, I am pleased with the durability.

• ODSC1

Posted December 23, 2007 - 08:20 AM

According to Scott Summers there is a design error in the BRP clutch. He says the clutch stack isn't thick enough. He suggests adding an additional steel plate to the bottom of the stack. The complete story is here, http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-02.html .

I did this mod on my first XR as soon as I noticed a bit of clutch slippage. In the 6 years I had the bike I never ever replaced the clutch.

Brian

• Juxxtin

Posted December 23, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Good tip slowxr! :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.