what kinds of jobs do we all have

202 replies to this topic
  • tbronc

Posted April 05, 2002 - 04:15 PM

I'm a laid off papermill worker, delivering, sorting & shipping library books for Penn State (part-time).

I'll be going back to school in the fall for mechanical engineering.

Posted April 05, 2002 - 04:19 PM

i almost forgot. i do repair welding on the side and my stage name is Ben Dover.

• Bryce_Senff

Posted April 05, 2002 - 05:32 PM

Hey Guys,
I knew I should have payed more attention in school. My job entails cleaning toilets, sweeping sidewalks, picking up after people,
settling disputes, and getting yelled at. But my favorite part of the job is catching rats. The one in the freezer that goes through a stack of frozen pizzas has me extremely bewildered. :)
ahhh.....the life of a Asst. Mgr. in a grocery store :D Thank God for Motorcycles!!!!

• robswr426

Posted April 05, 2002 - 06:02 PM

i work for cox communications i'm a cable tv/phone/data field tech. it's great i work 4 10's

• huskyrider

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:22 PM

Can you believe this, miss TT for a few days and there's a 80+ post thread. This damn business takes to much of my time. When we're slow I can sit at the shop, surf the web, ride a bike or two, and then run by a jobsite or 2 and check the guys work. Now that spring is here all the folks get spring fever and the phone starts ringing again. Here's what I was today.
6:30am-coffeemaker, it comes with being the first at the shop.
7:00am-fight breakerupper, 2 crew leaders couldn't agree on something. Nobody loves a snitch so I never found out what the beef was.
8:00 to 9:00am-receptionist until the real one gets in, 1 sales lead and 4 different salesman trying to sell whatever it is they sell. I tell them the owner comes in at nine.
9:00 to 10:30am-payroll clerk, every construction worker on this planet wants his check on Friday after work.
11:00am-sales assistant, helping a pool designer/salesperson close a deal with nothing more than dropping names of neighbors we've built pools for. She should of asked me before the first meeting and I could of given her names and addresses of a couple of dozen customers in their subdivision.
12:00noon to 1:30-machine operator, showing one of my guys how to dig up a tree-stump without abusing my excavator. You think he cares that I paid almost 50thou for this toy.
2:00pm-landscape architect, thank god it took over a halfday to do the new sprinkler zones. Half the plants weren't laid out according to the landscape plan. Homeowners usually don't notice, but with my luck this one would. One of these days I'm going to start doing plans in both english and spanish so nobody can use that excuse again.
3:00pm-electrician, rewire the panel showing the journeyman how to wire in the low and high sides of digital controller relays and explain to him how GFCI line and load neutrals must be kept seperate in the box when wiring pool lamps. I understand that every man has to learn somewhere, but don't charge me full invoice time to be his teacher.
4:30pm-plumber, finish setting the equipment so the real plumber can tee into the meter to plumb the gas risers for the pool heater. Both I and the homeowner told him to have it done by 5:00pm as they're leaving town for the weekend. He'd of left them without gas, and as a result no hot water or heat for not doing it in time, than I'd of got the dreaded Sunday evening call from the answering service that their home and pissed off. I would be the one to go over, take the ass chewing, turn on the gas and relight the pilots.
6:00pm-superintendent, drive by 2 jobs in the same subdivision. Everything is okay, this is the way it should always be.
6:40pm-lawbreaker, screw the open container law. Everyone knows construction workers love cold beer so I bought 2 for the ride to the shop, after today I earned them.
I'm a pool construction contractor and just like everyone else the title doesn't match the job description.

• arrow101

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:45 PM

gee looks like i have the best job on here.
I am a MOtorcycle Technision for a Yamaha Dealership have been for the past 4 years.
Gotta love that!!!!!

• MikeID

Posted April 05, 2002 - 08:10 PM

I'm a Software Engineer for a semiconductor chip manufacturer. I do mostly Perl and VB programming. I also help my Dad out with his trials bike dealership, Trail and Trials Motorcycles in Garden Valley, ID, so I'm really into trials.

I ride about every day of the week on one bike or the other.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted April 05, 2002 - 10:03 PM

I'm a flight test engineer.

Trust me, Hornet driver Nedley has the best job posted here.

You guys might be interested that a motocrosser was the pilot on the last space shuttle mission that recently went up to repair the Hubble space telescope. Check out http://www.jsc.nasa....bios/carey.html for more info. I rode with Digger during my F-16 flight test days. He's pretty fast.

• Ron_S

Posted April 06, 2002 - 01:00 AM

Telecommunications Superintendent / Project manager.

• Bamster

Posted April 06, 2002 - 03:02 AM

I have the most boring job here.
I work in Textiles as a Card technician,fixing
and setting the same boring machines day in and
day out.
By night I am a beer taster and Hockey critic.
Go Leafs Go
My wife is an emergency R.N..She comes in handy
when I come home after a crash.
Hey MOmilkman how much for a new knee?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • #1_Hit-man

Posted April 06, 2002 - 03:32 AM

Professional Truck Engineer, 9 months a year and off with pay 3 months of the year :) Only thing that sucks is, its Jan. thru March.

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• skippy

Posted April 06, 2002 - 03:37 AM

My job is to convince people to pay their bills
Part of my job is going to the gym . but the chicks love it.
I've herd every excuse you could imagane.
People just dont understand that there is an easy way or a hard way. It doesn't matter to me.

• blackie

Posted April 06, 2002 - 05:07 AM

I am a Vascular Surgery PA and my wife is a Bone Marrow Transplant PA. We work to support our motorcycle and bicycling habits, otherwise, I would probably live in a cardboard box under the freeway somewhere.

• SealClubber

Posted April 06, 2002 - 07:09 AM

M1A2 Tank Platoon Leader (The second best off road vehicle, next to the dirtbike!)

• Mitch_R

Posted April 06, 2002 - 10:03 PM

I work as a director for sports television, and try to ride as much as I can :)

• s.c.rider

Posted April 06, 2002 - 11:51 AM

Im 23 years old and work on the railroad. Freight train conductor for CSXT out of Augusta, GA. I ride the rails back and forth to Atlanta and Savannah Ga., and Charleston and Spartanburg SC.

• Mr._Gadget

Posted April 06, 2002 - 04:27 PM

Hey this is a great post......Unkle Moose told me I needed to drop back in every once and a while and check things out.

I head up the Operations Group in a privately held High Tech company in the networking space. We've developed the next generation IP Core router. Hey - anyone want to buy a Terabit Router? You can check us out at www.pluris.com. My bio and picture are there someplace (yeah I am that fat!)

In a past life, I built some of the Navy gear that Kevin (and others) have sailed with:
Launch Systems and TG sets for Ohio Class SSBN
Reduction Gears for the CG47 Cruisers
Main engines for the several SSN class boats (Latest being the Seawolf)
Maybe a few other things.......

Small world!

• BruceWA

Posted April 06, 2002 - 06:42 PM

This has been an even more popular question than "how old are we all?" A very diverse group!

• Rocket360

Posted April 06, 2002 - 07:53 PM

Recent runaway from "Big 5" Consulting firm, no ties to Enron! :) now Director of Sales and Strategy for am emerging software company

• tp3dxf

Posted April 06, 2002 - 08:06 PM

I operate and maintain high pressure natural gas pipelines for the So. Cal Gas Co. The pool contractor guy scares me! A pool guy lighting pilots! As well as traing excavating crews! We have pipeline markers that have both english and spanish wording just for the kind of operators that some people hire! The worst part is that he makes the coffee! Just kidding. Try to ride 4-8 times a month. 30 and still single gives me way too much time for well anything I want.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.