Partial Engine Oil loss.

9 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted December 21, 2007 - 06:14 AM

This is an example of a normal bike service gone horribly wrong.

I did my normal after ride (after 2 rides) service including oil change and stainless steel filter cleaning.

All good so far, but when I started the bike this morning for a nice desert ride, one of my riding buddies noticed fluid pouring out of the engine.

The engine probably ran a total of 10-15 seconds max..

Anyways I shut her down and sure enough I had not torqued the oil filter bolts.. :busted: :D :D :banghead:

'Idiot' I said to myself..
Well no riding on the YZ today.

Later today I opened the drain bolt and the side oil channel.
about 4-500 mls of oil remained and came out at that time.
When it all finished draining I tightened everything up and put another liter of oil in.

So I am hoping, no engine damage..
If the oil pumps out of the bottom then up to the head before going to the oil filter then I am thinking I should be OK because the engine would not have noticed a loss of oil. Unless the crank had a chance to dry up..

Any comments, what do you think?
I have not fired her up again since turning it off this morning when I saw the oil leaking..

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2007 - 06:59 AM

The YZF is a dry sump system. None of the oil pumped out of the bottom goes to any part of the engine, but is returned to the tank (the frame, in the case of the steel bikes). The feed oil, the oil that actually lubes things, flows from the tank to the pump, then to the oil filter first, after which it is sent to the crank, top end, and trans. Then it drains to the bottom, is picked up and returned to the tank, leaving the sump "dry".

As long as there is enough oil in the system to keep the feed line outlet at the tank submerged, the engine will oil, so you could actually loose nearly 1.2 qts of oil and maybe get away with it under almost any circumstance (don't try this at home). Also, the engine typically starts up with a dry tank after every oil change, and after it sits a couple of weeks, and nothing bad comes from that as long as you don't test the rev limiter or slam it in gear and do a 3rd gear burn out the instant it starts.

If you noticed the leak as soon as you say, and were able to drain 500cc from it (which means there were 700 cc or so actually in the bike), then you have nothing to worry about, IMO. There would be a loss of oil pressure as a result of the cover being loose, but it sounds as if you didn't really ride it anywhere.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:42 AM

You are probably ok......you caught it in time.....
Thankgod it did not happen on your honda....it would be toast. Just kiddin :banghead:

• SUnruh

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:49 AM

but richard, by not having the filter cover on tight, did the have proper oil pressure?

i think we all agree he didn't run low on oil, but what about pressure?

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2007 - 08:46 AM

I mentioned that.

There would be a loss of oil pressure as a result of the cover being loose, but it sounds as if you didn't really ride it anywhere.

If he noticed this quickly, as he appears to have, and did not actually ride it under any load, then I don't see a problem as being likely. From his post it doesn't sound like he did.

...when I started the bike this morning for a nice desert ride, one of my riding buddies noticed fluid pouring out of the engine.

The engine probably ran a total of 10-15 seconds max..

The loss in pressure would be proportionate to how loose the bolts were, and by "pouring out", I'll guess it was nearly a total loss. All the same, it wasn't run long enough or hard enough to worry about. '03 and later YZF's are without oil pressure for about that long a time after every oil change, anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:23 AM

Youre fine.... I made a similar mistake by pinching one of the o-rings on the oil filter cover... on my 99' and 04' I also had rocks puncture the clutch cover and had to ride out once with out any JB weld and never had an issue related to oil pressure (I don't know how much pressure the clutch section is under).

Either way you are fine.

• BergArabia

Posted December 21, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Thanks guys.
I didn't ride it anywhere and it had no load put on it at all.
I just started it to warm it. I hadn't even removed it from the trailer.
I noticed it within seconds and switched it off straight away.
Anyways, I am hopeful that it will be OK.
The proof I guess will be in the pudding..

I'll crank it in the next couple of days.. actually probably after Christmas..

• SUnruh

Posted December 21, 2007 - 11:00 AM

ah now i see that. must be tired eyes.

yeah you probably are just fine!!!

• BergArabia

Posted December 21, 2007 - 02:58 PM

ah now i see that. must be tired eyes.

yeah you probably are just fine!!!

Thanks .. I hope so.
Will try to start it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes..

• BergArabia

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Well it seems the YZ450f is,at least to a certain extent, idiotproof.

I just started it up now. I didn't take it for a ride or anything because I don't have anywhere to ride here at home, but she starts the same as always and warmed up OK. There is a lot of air pressure coming out the exhaust, sound is the same etc., starts the same, idles the same etc.. So I think we are good to go..

Any luck and the end result is that I just ran an extra liter of oil through the engine..

Thanks guys..

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.