Question for you 1980's XR600 riders

9 replies to this topic
  • drgriffi1

Posted December 20, 2007 - 10:04 PM

I know what oil I use, but what do you guys use? What's the price and how much? Just wondering.

• Owyhee

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Uh oh. An oil thread.

I've used Mobil 1 (weight varies by season) in all of my XRs (from XR100s to XR200s to XR350s, to my XR600s today) and never had a problem. I rode my XR350 for seven hard years and it only started to smoke on start up (valve guide seals) right before I sold it.

"O"

• Motosprtman

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Castrol GTX 20-50

• martinfan30

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:04 AM

lmao! here we go again.

honda 10-40 winter/ 20-50 summer.

• cleonard

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Bottom line, if you change it enough just about any oil will work. The correct viscosity is important. Nothing lighter than 40.

After running a bunch of different oils including everything mentioned so far, I have settled on Rotella T 15W-40. It really holds it's viscosity very well. Better than anything that I have used before including several expensive synthetics. Is it the best? I doubt it. Is it good enough? It seems so to me.

Rotella is what the industry calls a heavy duty diesel oil. It has several characteristics that are good for motorcycle use. One of the slipper clutch mfgs suggests it's use. One of the best things about the Rotella is it is only about $9/gal and is widely available.

If you want to know more do some searches on TT and you can find out

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nummie

Posted December 21, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Honda 10-40

• drgriffi1

Posted December 21, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I wasn't asking for advice, I just thought it would be cool to see the many various oils people use. It's always funny to see people try to justify their use of one product over the other.

• XR250rdr

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Bottom line, if you change it enough just about any oil will work. The correct viscosity is important. Nothing lighter than 40.

After running a bunch of different oils including everything mentioned so far, I have settled on Rotella T 15W-40. It really holds it's viscosity very well. Better than anything that I have used before including several expensive synthetics. Is it the best? I doubt it. Is it good enough? It seems so to me.

Rotella is what the industry calls a heavy duty diesel oil. It has several characteristics that are good for motorcycle use. One of the slipper clutch mfgs suggests it's use. One of the best things about the Rotella is it is only about $9/gal and is widely available.

If you want to know more do some searches on TT and you can find out

Where do you get Rotella T 15W-40? I thought it was only available in 5W-40? Or are you using standard Rotella? (T is synthetic, I'm running it in the XR200 now with good results so far)

• cleonard

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Where do you get Rotella T 15W-40? I thought it was only available in 5W-40? Or are you using standard Rotella? (T is synthetic, I'm running it in the XR200 now with good results so far)

They are both labeled with the T. The 15W-40 is the non synthetic. Actually neither are really synthetic. The 5W-40 is just more refined dino oil.

I'm still running the old high zinc Rotella made before the reformulation last summer. The synthetic is going to get the changed formulation early in 2008. I'm a little concerned about the current SM oils and the reduced additives. When I finally run out of it I may switch to a pre SL motorcycle oil.

• beezerjoe

Posted December 22, 2007 - 12:24 AM

Honda GN-4 20/50 everybody has a different preferance though.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.