Working out after a broken ankle.

7 replies to this topic
  • RaceMX84

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I broke my ankle about 8 weeks ago. I had surgery, a plate and 9 screws. I was in a cast for 6 weeks. I have my cast off for a little over two weeks now. The doctor told me that the bone itself was completely healed when i got my cast off. Of course i had no motion in it at that time but i was aloud to put weight on it.Doctor told me not to run, and do any physical sports or anything like that until new years. I am now to the point that i can walk on it all day without to much pain. I have probably 90% of motion in now and im working on getting the rest. It swells up quite a bit through the day, getting it up and iced for about 10-30 minutes helps big time. I have been taking physical therapy since i got my cast off.

This sitting around and doing nothing thing is getting to me. I just feel like i need to start working out, ive lifted weights a little bit i like to ride my stationary bike. It seems to just make me feel "better" and i have a hard time sleeping unless i get some for of a work out during the day. At therapy they have me riding a bike for 10 minutes with little to no load on it. I do that at my house, it seems to make my foot feel alot better.

I was just wonder if actually working out on the stationary bike will be bad for my ankle that is still pretty stiff and sore. I like to ride it for atleast 30 minutes with a load that varies from easy to hard. I would love to start working out again but i dont want to injury my ankle.

• amnesia622

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Dr. Mark why would a doctor put a cast on something that was plated? Isnt the idea of a plate internal fixation?

When I Broke my tib/fib I put my roadbike on the trainer and rode it on that for 30min 5 days a week. That worked best with lots of stretching to regain full range of motion. Other thing I liked was the balance board.

• RaceMX84

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:20 PM

The doctor told me that if i walked on it right after the surgery there was a chance the screws would pull out of the bone? I was in a soft splint type cast for 2 weeks and then a hard cast for 4 weeks. I was in tons of pain after the surgery so even without the cast i would not have been able to walk on it.

• DrMark

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:21 PM

A guy who screwed up the fixation, or has no confidence in his work, uses a plate AND a cast.

Its like wearing a belt with suspenders. Brooks Brothers say you never should do it. I agree.

(If the guy is in a lot of pain afterward, the fixation wasn't stable)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RaceMX84

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:25 PM

A guy who screwed up the fixation, or has no confidence in his work, uses a plate AND a cast.

Its like wearing a belt with suspenders. Brooks Brothers say you never should do it. I agree.

(If the guy is in a lot of pain afterward, the fixation wasn't stable)

I was in tons of pain, had to take pain killers for two weeks. If i didnt take them i felt like i was going to die. Will actually doing a cardio working risk hurting the muscle's in my foot/ankle since they are still somewhat stiff?

If it was stable in the first place is there anything to worry about now that its totally healed?

• DrMark

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:36 PM

If the recent X-rays shows no loss of position, then there is little reason not to do cardio. Not having seen the films, I really can't advise you.

• RaceMX84

Posted December 20, 2007 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for your help, i ended up doing an hour of working out tonight, 30 minutes of bike riding and 30 minutes of lifting. No major pain in the foot from the area of the break. My muscle's are a little sore but that is what i expected. I wasnt working out at total 100% but it was a pretty hard workout for not being active in 8+ weeks. Looks like i'll keep my work out plan going for now as long as no abnormal pains show up.

Thank you again for your help!

• skinny_sam

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:56 AM

I think it's very good to work out after a broken ankle because it develops your ankle so that it will completely heal and for health benefits. So your hitting two birds with one stone.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Wiki
No More Blistered Hands! - last post by mxwink509

No More Blistered Hands!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer? by Fade

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.