Getting new knobs for Christmas

15 replies to this topic
  • Frank ZX

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:16 PM

I told my wife I want some knobbies for Christmas.The other day,she asks me what size tires are on the XRL,so I told her.Man,I hope she buys some decent tires.:banghead:

• knuklehead

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Should have told her what ever your fav are ( and that there the only one that would fit)

• Owyhee

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Years ago I rode a Transalp and needed some long-distance street tires for a Transalp rally. I already had a Metzler ME33 front and wanted an ME55 rear. The bike shop guy knew me and what I wanted. The wife (girlfriend at the time) went down to the shop to buy a present for me and the bike shop guy told her what to buy.

Sadly, I put 3,000 miles on the bike in 4 days and squared off that ME55 in one long weekend.

P.S. the ME33/55 combo (21/17) is amazing on a DS bike. I ground my bellypan into a blob of molten plastic.

"O"

• martinfan30

Posted December 20, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I told my wife I want some knobbies for Christmas.The other day,she asks me what size tires are on the XRL,so I told her.Man,I hope she buys some decent tires.:banghead:

just have her get pirelli MT-21's. at least a 130 rear. they will match the front to make it right. dunlop 606's are good too.

90/90 - 21 front and 130/90 - 18 rear is a good combo.

• Frank ZX

Posted December 30, 2007 - 03:23 AM

Let me tell you,my wife is sooooo cheap,she can take a penny and squeeze a dime from it.She bought me Ching Shens or what ever you call them.The rear is a 5.30x18.Well anyways,I mounted them and went for a ride on Christmas day with my two boys,they got a XR80 and a XR200 for Christmas.I got a idea,I'll just go to the Supermoto track and wear them out real quick,then I'll have a excuse to get some Prelli's or Dunlop's.lol

• absynth01

Posted December 30, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Martinfan is right. Those pirelli MT-21 are a great DOT knobby, and hold up pretty good for the road. The cheng chin's I have not had a good set yet. I put a Cheng on my CR500 and actually sheared knobs off the first day!!! The pirelli's can take a lot of hurtin and still remain usable. Really hard compound tire.

• Bibleman

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:02 AM

If the Pirellis are a hard compound do you give up alot of traction on the street compared to the TrailWings?

• martinfan30

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:41 PM

If the Pirellis are a hard compound do you give up alot of traction on the street compared to the TrailWings?

they do well but not as well as an actual 50/50 or a tire more geared for street.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:42 PM

Let me tell you,my wife is sooooo cheap,she can take a penny and squeeze a dime from it.She bought me Ching Shens or what ever you call them.The rear is a 5.30x18.Well anyways,I mounted them and went for a ride on Christmas day with my two boys,they got a XR80 and a XR200 for Christmas.I got a idea,I'll just go to the Supermoto track and wear them out real quick,then I'll have a excuse to get some Prelli's or Dunlop's.lol

LMAO!!!

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:28 AM

chein shiat LOL ITS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS dont be an ass YOU have to live with her LOL

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:48 PM

If I ask for something technical, I have to specify the brand, size, color, style, name, aliases, part number, and places to get it...Otherwise I don't get it. Sometimes I would rather get money.

With that said, I did get a Maxxix Cross IT rear for my thumper which is nice because the old one was nearly bald. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted January 03, 2008 - 09:03 AM

If I ask for something technical, I have to specify the brand, size, color, style, name, aliases, part number, and places to get it...Otherwise I don't get it. Sometimes I would rather get money.

With that said, I did get a Maxxix Cross IT rear for my thumper which is nice because the old one was nearly bald. :banghead:

Hmmmm.....

sounds WAY too familiar!

• Motosprtman

Posted January 03, 2008 - 01:32 PM

IMHO there is noting wrong with Cheng Shin skins. I use them explicitedly for the OEM trials tire look on my old XL's, they are affordable, wear well and are easy to mount. I have also used thier knobbies, on older XL's and the grip is good to excellent. Far better than the Bridgestones I have tried. Dunlop, Pierelli etc is of course top quality, but for causual trail riding etc, there is nothing wrong with cheng shins. Be glad that your wife endorses your fetish for riding dirt bikes and supports your habit - for that is true love.

• pyrofreak

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:38 PM

I actaully know people that endorse the Cheng Shin's because they are half-way decent, good in mud/soft terrian, and are cheap enough to replace more often than expensive ones. That said, if you HATE them, make a comment about how it's good that they are cheap so you can replace them much more often. Chances are she'll support the more expensive, but longer lasting tire, and it'll seem like you're saving money in comparision. Over-exagerate on the replacement schedule for the cheaper tires, and you just might get the Dunlops next time. I'm a female, and if you can make the above argument in hints, ponders, and meaningless discussion, then she WILL get it, subtly, and not take offense to it. Its like wanting a dog, but asking for a pony!

• Frank ZX

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:52 PM

The Ching Chen's didn't do too bad.I was real suprised.I was on hard packed and some muddy surfaces.I wonder how they will do on the street?They are not DOT.

• scalejockey

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:11 PM

gee I asked my wife for new Knobs and she went to plastic surgeon!! I WIN!!

ok (i wish)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.