YZ426f engine noise -light rattle or nock?

6 replies to this topic
  • RickB420

Posted December 20, 2007 - 01:53 PM

i just puchased a used 00 yz426f. It is in great condition. new parts and well maintained. when i looked at it i could not find any leaks or damage and did not notice any problems. It starts right up, runs good and has plenty of power. The previous owner said he had recently had the cam chain replaced. For the few minutes i looked at it everything seemed ok. KBB was listed at $2260. I paid $1700.00 it has some after market goodies and extras with it. I thought this was a good deal so i bought it. When I got it home it started up easily once you know the "routine" and I ran it around for about 30 minutes. then when it was nice and warm i was listening to the motor and noticed a rattle or light knock coming from inside the cylinder. I checked elsewhere for any loose or vibrating parts and found none. The noise is not coming from the top, i dont think its the valves. It sounds like the wrist pin on the piston/ rod is vibrating or loose. Or a bearing? i dont know. Has anyone had this problem before and what do i do?:banghead: :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2007 - 02:51 PM

First, there has never been a YZ4** that didn't rattle. But if you think this might be abnormal, the 2000 models do have one thing they like to do that causes a rattling noise in the right side of the lower engine.

Check the nut that holds the primary gear on the crank. If this gets just a little loose, the balancer shaft drive gear starts rattling on its drive key. It's no big deal if you catch it early, but if you let it go, it can be expensive. If it's loose, replace the key.

• MX1967

Posted December 22, 2007 - 01:09 AM

My friends 01 YZ 426 had a pretty good rattle or knock that started all at once & it ended up being his wrist pin bearing. That was after 5yrs on the stock top end & his questionable maintenance record. Try that on any other brand of 4-stroke!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdbermshot

Posted December 26, 2007 - 02:42 PM

ditto on the counter balencer key---rebuild a 01 model and a week later it had a bad knock---replaced gear and key and cam chain just incase---fixed that noise

• RickB420

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info about the keyway guys, I will definately look at it. I am going to get a manual for the 426 before i get into it.

• jmckinney

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:37 AM

I also have a 2000 YZ426 and know excatly what your talking about. My advice is to ignore the issue after you check the key on the primary gear. I know it might sound hard to do, but my bike is still running strong after 3 years of punshiment in the sand and tight wood trails. Eventually you will get used to the rattle. Good Luck...It's a great bike...

• taycam

Posted December 29, 2007 - 04:36 PM

for what its worth i have a brand new WR450f and it rattles as if its full of rocks (lol) this condition is normal due to the use of light weight materials.....light,high performance engine doesnt equal quiet....these bikes are built to be ridden hard.....and no attention has been paid to noise dampening....great,light,reliable bike...just noisey

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.