06 WR450F Owners

I just sold my 06' WR and it was my least favorite Yamaha out of the 5 others I've owned. In 06' they tried to neuter the power on it to make it more linear and in my opinion they took all the fun out of the bike. They also went the wrong direction in the design of the fork by making the internal reservoirs about half the size of previous years. Which means if you are a descent sized guy and you ride hard at all it almost impossible to get the forks to work right.

Just my.02

How do you like your bike? How many of you have ridden the 07 WR450F or the KLX450R and prefer your steel framed monsters? Why? Anything you don't like about your bike? Thanks.

I've never had the opportunity to ride the Kaw, but I do like my 06WR. Much better than the WR400 & close to the 07 in almost every way that counts for a trails rider. But (you know it was coming didn't you) I agree with BOBR about the forks, I'm either bottoming out on the big stuff or getting hammered by the little chop, with the same settings. I plan on getting the forks re-valved which should help a great deal.

I don't agree with him about the power though, the 07 is even more linear than the 06 motor (after all the mods that must be done on any WR, jetting, throttle stop, exhaust & intake changes, etc). I ride with a 07WR nearly every weekend and, power wise, we are always neck and neck when racing down service roads same when racing a 05 YZ250 two smoke.

Has enough power for everything other than track use and if you're a track guy you shouldn't be buying a WR in the first place. Although I'm always looking for more low end power. Strange but true.

Weight distribution is the biggest difference between the 06 and 07, the 07 feels much lighter. Considering what a tank any WR is the 06 handles pretty well.

Downsides:

Weight and how it's distributed (correctable).

Abusive forks (correctable).

Lacks "cool" factor.

It's an 06 not an 08 :banghead:

Upsides:

06WR motors are bullet proof and comparing mine to my friends 07 the top end is much quieter.

I saved over $2000 buying a new 06 rather than a new 07.

An interesting side note:

On single track tight stuff your butt won't get nearly as hot as on the 07, something to do with the aluminum frame conducting heat better than the steel one.

I love my WR. I think its the best do it all bike I've ever owned.

The engine has PLENTY of power ( i came from an 03 YZ450) and you can dial it up as powerful as you want it.

I agree on the forks. They are ass. And I only weight 170lbs. I bottom them out on easy mx tracks ( I know, its a trail bike) but they also hammer you on chop, I'm still monkey with springs and oil weight height.

I love the bike though. I DO NOT think its too heavy. It handles fine for me.

I ride tight mt trails with steep terrain and also desert occasionaly.

Hey,

Everybody has an opinion one way or the other... I've had a 00', 02', 04', 06' and now and 08' Wr and a 03' YZ, so I've pretty much ridden all of them and my opinion is what it is. The 06' is lazy on the bottom by leaps and bounds compared to my 04'. It does make pretty good power from mid to high but is a terd on the bottom. If you change the pipe there is a noticeable improvement and it is a good handling bike.

Good luck .

Seems that if it is a turd on the bottom that it might be well suited for a beginner. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't consider a modern 450, regardless of make, a bike for beginners. But what exactly is a beginner? One who has never mastered the art of balancing on two wheels? A street rider who wants to dabble in the dirt? You get the idea. There are 'levels' of experience even for beginners.

Buy what you're going to be happy with the longest you can always "ride like a beginner" on any bike as long as you have a long enough inseam.

It not that it's a "turd" on the bottom end it's just that I believe that a 450 ought to be able to break traction, regardless of terrain, with the smallest of throttle openings and with no clutch use. And, of course, without being too explosive and ill mannered. A very tall order.

... I believe that a 450 ought to be able to break traction, regardless of terrain, with the smallest of throttle openings and with no clutch use. And, of course, without being too explosive and ill mannered. A very tall order.

You've just described my '05. With the right combination of jetting/tuning and the proper gear ratio, you can turn the WR, or just about any 450, into whatever kind of bike you need. If anyone thinks these things are "turds" down low, then one of three things needs to happen:

1. Do the Free Mods.
  2. Jet it properly.
  3. Strap a JATO to your keister, 'cuz you a crazy sumbitch :banghead:

Happy Kwanzaa...SC

You've just described my '05. With the right combination of jetting/tuning and the proper gear ratio, you can turn the WR, or just about any 450, into whatever kind of bike you need. If anyone thinks these things are "turds" down low, then one of three things needs to happen:

1. Do the Free Mods.
  2. Jet it properly.
  3. Strap a JATO to your keister, 'cuz you a crazy sumbitch :banghead:

Happy Kwanzaa...SC

Yep I agree, I just haven't found the dough to do what I need to to get the sub 2,000 rpm grunt I'm looking for!

Seems that if it is a turd on the bottom that it might be well suited for a beginner. Any thoughts?

If you have your wits about you to take it easy and respect the power any bike can be good for a beginner. Just have to take it easy and let your skills and confidence grow into the bike. If it is a stock wr you shouldn't have too much power. Why? Cause they are choked back so much it is unreal. But once you do the above stated mods, you will have to HOLD ON. She will wheelie at will, yours and the bikes on any terrain. A completely different ANIMAL when mod'ed out.

As for the 07, depending on your weight the aluminum frame can be a bit much for people that don't weigh much. Very stiff, not always a good thing.

Will have to agree with the fork issue though. There are times I think the things are locked out and then time I am wondering if there is anything there. Seems they are stiff to a point and then once they give, they collapse.

As for the weight issue? It is enduro. Ya want light, get a YZ.

In the two years of having the bike the only thing I have had to replace are the tires. Can't complain about that!