DR.D TI/TI Pipe Alignment '08 YZ450F

69 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 27, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Just wanting to keep you guys in the loop. Dr.D finally got the pipe I sent out overnight today the 27th. Because of the holidays. I spoke to Erin last week and she told me to send it in. They did get today and this dude told me that they would be shut down until the beginning of the year, due to inventory. Man I was ticked off. I asked to speak with Erin and she said don't worry I will expedite this and call you after evaluation. She said if the pipe could be fixed that they fix it. otherwise they would send me a new one. I need my pipe be the 30th. We'll see what happens. So far I'm impressed. :banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:25 PM

Alright, I spoke with Dr.D today and they told me that they put my pipe on Doug Dubach's bike today and it lined up perfectly. Remember when I put it on the can was tilted in a clockwise position. I ground the bottom spacer that is welded to the lower pipe about a 16th of an inch. In order for the pipe to correctly line the spacer should but cut about 1/4 inch from new. Well I was told that there was nothing wrong with the pipe so they were going to send it back to me. A week without riding, $30 shipping there, and they wanted $30 back, and of course I had to pay. This didn't make sense to me. The only reason that the pipe lined up there on Dougs bike is that I ground the spacer down. It still doesn't line up the way it should, that is why I sent it in. After a brief run around I spoke with Terry Beal who is the Vice President of Sales and Marketing @ Dr.D. He went in the back saw the pipe on Doug's Bike while I was on the phone and said that it lined up right. This is crazy. My bike is a brand new 08 YZ450F that has not even been ridden. Long story short. They agreed to send me a new pipe but they told me that it would probably be the same. It can't be. Because if it is they have a problem with their jig. There was a post earlier in this thread that said they rode their bike and the pipe did hit the wheel. I will get the pipe tomorrow and I will be anxiously awaiting. If it lines up the same way, they will need to correct this problem with the jig setup. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH DR.D PIPES NOT LINING UP OR BEING TILTED CLOCKWISE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I give you a post with pictures tomorrow. Also a poll: If it doesn't line up, would you get your money back and go with another pipe?

• DPW

Posted December 29, 2007 - 07:32 AM

Just wanting to keep you guys in the loop. Dr.D finally got the pipe I sent out overnight today the 27th. Because of the holidays. I spoke to Erin last week and she told me to send it in. They did get today and this dude told me that they would be shut down until the beginning of the year, due to inventory. Man I was ticked off. I asked to speak with Erin and she said don't worry I will expedite this and call you after evaluation. She said if the pipe could be fixed that they fix it. otherwise they would send me a new one. I need my pipe be the 30th. We'll see what happens. So far I'm impressed. :banghead:

not to be a smarta$$, but why not use the stock exhaust while you are waiting for the dubach?

• Ga426owner

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:15 AM

I highly doubt that DRD is lying to you Wes. If they say it is lined up is is lined up. Also Do you know who Terry Beal is BTW? He was or still is also over Yamaha's sales and marketing. Wonder if he is 2timing jobs or not with Yami anymore????
Here is my take on what is going on with your new 08. I would also try #2 and 3 to see if this helps

1. the subframe is possible tweaked (yes on a new bike - seen it before)
add several washers to the inside of the top and lower cannister mount - this will push the can out towards the side plate creating more room not to hit tire. Do not grind anything on the new pipe period!

2. install the head pipe first but keep it loose until the rear cannister is installed - also keep this loose. Tighten the headpipe at cylinder first and work towards the rear

3. Reverse the order that you tighten from rear to front

if it still does not line up correctly......chances are no pipe will line up correctly

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 29, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I highly doubt that DRD is lying to you Wes. If they say it is lined up is is lined up. Also Do you know who Terry Beal is BTW? He was or still is also over Yamaha's sales and marketing. Wonder if he is 2timing jobs or not with Yami anymore????
Here is my take on what is going on with your new 08. I would also try #2 and 3 to see if this helps

1. the subframe is possible tweaked (yes on a new bike - seen it before)
add several washers to the inside of the top and lower cannister mount - this will push the can out towards the side plate creating more room not to hit tire. Do not grind anything on the new pipe period!

2. install the head pipe first but keep it loose until the rear cannister is installed - also keep this loose. Tighten the headpipe at cylinder first and work towards the rear

3. Reverse the order that you tighten from rear to front

if it still does not line up correctly......chances are no pipe will line up correctly

Ga, I did all of those things. As I have posted this thread I seem to not be the only person in this position. I know who Terry Beal is and he was a pleasure to deal with. Zmoney520 had a pipe that was the same as mine, however he rode with his and the wheel did hit the pipe. I can't imagine the the subframe is tweaked from the factory but it could be. I put the stock back pipe on and it lined up perfect. Honestly I believe there must be a slight difference in the pipes from 06-07 to 08 both of the pipes that were sent to me were for 06-07. Let it be known on record that I'm not calling anyone a liar and not pointing any fingers. I believe that Dr.D is more than a reputable company and they have stood behind their product. Everyone from Lindsy, to Erin, from Johaan, and Terry Beal, these guys are great to deal with. I'm just a Motocrosser that wants a great pipe for my bike and am having a problem. It is interesting to go throughout this process to actually find out where the problem lies. I will find it. I do appreciate everyones feedback, especially yours GA. Thanks and Happy New Year. I will keep this thread updated.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 30, 2007 - 02:47 PM

It's probably my bike but the brand new pipe that Dr.D sent me lines up the same way! OFF! My buddy that bought his when I did is on a cruise right now. He owns a Yamaha dealership. When he returns he will put his on and we will see if it just my bike or if it is a problem with the setup or jig at Dr.D. Maybe the pipe looking bent in is the way Dr.D made it, but I doubt it. They said it lined up, but maybe their definition of lining up is different than mine. Oh well, I'm selling this pipe. It's never been used. E-Bay here I come.

• DPW

Posted December 30, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Could you post a picture of the misalignment?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 30, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Could you post a picture of the misalignment?

Sure, I packaged it up to sell, I'll hook it up tomorrow. Hey, Happy New Year! I appreciate all of the feedback you have given me!:banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:53 PM

O.K. Guys, here are the pictures of the Stock Pipe Can mount and clearance with straight edge, and the Dr.D Pipe Can mount and clearance with straight edge. As you can see the Dr.D pipe is twisted. The reason the pipe is twisted is that the welded spacer that mounts to the lower sub-frame is too thick. When I ground down the spacer, the bolt pulled the pipe out towards the side plate, thus rotating the pipe back counter-clockwise. I ground down the spacer about 1/8th of an inch and it still wasn't enough. I could have ground down the pipe enough to fit, but the spacer would much thinner (about a 1/4 -1/2 inch), then I would have had to grind down the bolt because it then would be too long. Both pipes that were sent to me were for an 06-07 YZ450F. Honestly I don't think my sub-frame is tweaked, because the stock pipe wouldn't line up. I believe there is a big enough difference in the 08 and Dr.D needs to make an adjustment in their jig. My buddy get back from his cruise on the 7th and we are going to look closely at his. We ordered our pipes at the same time. If his lines up the same, we will then know it is a problem with the jig, and that an 08 is different than an 06-07. I am going to put this pipe on the 06 that I sold to my buddy to see how it fits. I'll keep you posted. Below are the pics:
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC301860.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC300036.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC301862.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC300033.jpg

• Ga426owner

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:03 AM

O.K. Guys, here are the pictures of the Stock Pipe Can mount and clearance with straight edge, and the Dr.D Pipe Can mount and clearance with straight edge. As you can see the Dr.D pipe is twisted. The reason the pipe is twisted is that the welded spacer that mounts to the lower sub-frame is too thick. When I ground down the spacer, the bolt pulled the pipe out towards the side plate, thus rotating the pipe back counter-clockwise. I ground down the spacer about 1/8th of an inch and it still wasn't enough. I could have ground down the pipe enough to fit, but the spacer would much thinner (about a 1/4 -1/2 inch), then I would have had to grind down the bolt because it then would be too long. Both pipes that were sent to me were for an 06-07 YZ450F. Honestly I don't think my sub-frame is tweaked, because the stock pipe wouldn't line up. I believe there is a big enough difference in the 08 and Dr.D needs to make an adjustment in their jig. My buddy get back from his cruise on the 7th and we are going to look closely at his. We ordered our pipes at the same time. If his lines up the same, we will then know it is a problem with the jig, and that an 08 is different than an 06-07. I am going to put this pipe on the 06 that I sold to my buddy to see how it fits. I'll keep you posted. Below are the pics:
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC301860.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC300036.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC301862.jpg
http://s63.photobuck...nt=PC300033.jpg

Wes please send these pics to Erin and Terry at DRD. I agree this is not right.
They need to see this in order to correct for future pipe orders. Looks to me like the top clamp mount is incorrectly positioned. Let us know what their response is:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:06 AM

They need to see this in order to correct for future pipe orders. Looks to me like the top clamp mount is incorrectly positioned. Let us know what their response is:thumbsup:

I agree, you should send them some good pics so they can see the problem also... mine lined up and installed perfectly...

• DPW

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:19 AM

I agree also send those pics to Dr.D ..thanks for posting the pics.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 31, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Sent the pics directly to the Doctor. What's interesting is that they fit the pipe they sent me on Doug's bike prior to sending and it and it fit. My sub-frame is not tweaked. Everything lines up. The Doctor is in and we will figure it out. I will say one thing, I sure like communicating with all of the big dogs but I wish it wasn't over an issue like this. Dr.D really is a great company! It's almost like they have no other problem than this one. We will all work together to rectify the issue. Many companies wouldn't even care. Thanks Dr.D! Happy New Year!:banghead:

• sean06

Posted December 31, 2007 - 02:07 PM

Mine sits at a slight angle too, but not half as bad as yours. It looks like the muffler just got welded on to the mid pipe incorectly. I was a bit unhappy at first, but decided to just live with it.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 31, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Mine sits at a slight angle too, but not half as bad as yours. It looks like the muffler just got welded on to the mid pipe incorectly. I was a bit unhappy at first, but decided to just live with it.

Rather than the spacer being too thick, it does make more sense that the can was welded on a little crooked.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 31, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Well I have to admit, Dr.D is a company of integrity. Terry Beal just called me to say that there actually was a lot of about 15 pipes that were not put together properly. He told me that they pulled the 15 off the shelf and are going to make me a new one for me. For a company to stand behind their product is one thing but to act like my problem was the only problem is another. They told me that they will reimburse me for the shipping that I have paid so far which at this point is $120.00 and they also will reimburse me for the shipping of the second pipe back to them. Best of all they will send me a new pipe that will be perfect.:bonk: :mad: I can't wait. New pipe, New bike, best of all I can stay with the pipe I originally wanted! DR.D TI! Hats off to DR.D! Happy New Year Guys, your a great company!:cry: :banghead: :busted: :D :D :D :D :ride: :bonk: :eek: :D :D :p :prof: :rant:

• steve_97060

Posted December 31, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Well I have to admit, Dr.D is a company of integrity. Terry Beal just called me to say that there actually was a lot of about 15 pipes that were not put together properly. He told me that they pulled the 15 off the shelf and are going to make me a new one for me. For a company to stand behind their product is one thing but to act like my problem was the only problem is another. They told me that they will reimburse me for the shipping that I have paid so far which at this point is $120.00 and they also will reimburse me for the shipping of the second pipe back to them. Best of all they will send me a new pipe that will be perfect.:cry: :eek: I can't wait. New pipe, New bike, best of all I can stay with the pipe I originally wanted! DR.D TI! Hats off to DR.D! Happy New Year Guys, your a great company!:mad: :banghead: :busted: :D :D :D :D :ride: :bonk: :eek: :D :D :p :prof: :rant:

Glad to hear it... :bonk:

• grunkthump

Posted January 01, 2008 - 07:35 AM

They are FANTASTIC...this doesn't surprise me a bit!! Be sure and give a ride report of the bike with your new exhaust!! THANKS.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 02, 2008 - 07:45 AM

DRD is a great cust sat company - good thing you sent those pics......hey maybe you can talk them into just sending you one of those trick Ti pipes / CF for the same cost.....:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2008 - 07:54 AM

I had the same kind of misalignment on my first generation DRD pipe, but not nearly to that extent (on an '06, which should be no different). It went on with a little fuss, but now that it's been bolted up, it fits and R&R's just fine.

My second one, the new type like yours, went on with no issues at all.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.