front sprocket cover mount

11 replies to this topic
  • sparki66

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:28 PM

good evening.....

i think i did bad.... but just to confirm.....

my chain snapped on the way to work this morning... it got wrapped around the front sprockt a bit and snapped off a large portion of the top front sprocket guard mounting point... no biggie i figured, there's quite a bit of "meat" left behing where the boltused to screw in, all i need to do is drill a little further in and tap a few threads for another bolt... it certainly looks as though there enough space. ali to do this. i went slow, made sure i was straight etc etc... then the feeling changed and i stopped. looked in the hole and i had drilled through into ????? that's my question. please tell me i haven't just drilled into the freakin crankcase someone... i started her up and not spurts out but what i did notice was a whiteish kind of liquid. i have no idea what it is... not oil, so i'm a little confused.... so what started out as a littel thread "repair" turned out to be a possible show stopper... anyone have any ideas?...

cheers
steve

• Denn10

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:32 PM

put some pics up

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:35 PM

good evening.....

i think i did bad.... but just to confirm.....

my chain snapped on the way to work this morning... it got wrapped around the front sprockt a bit and snapped off a large portion of the top front sprocket guard mounting point... no biggie i figured, there's quite a bit of "meat" left behing where the boltused to screw in, all i need to do is drill a little further in and tap a few threads for another bolt... it certainly looks as though there enough space. ali to do this. i went slow, made sure i was straight etc etc... then the feeling changed and i stopped. looked in the hole and i had drilled through into ????? that's my question. please tell me i haven't just drilled into the freakin crankcase someone... i started her up and not spurts out but what i did notice was a whiteish kind of liquid. i have no idea what it is... not oil, so i'm a little confused.... so what started out as a littel thread "repair" turned out to be a possible show stopper... anyone have any ideas?...

cheers
steve

Three things:
- Don't drill, until you replace the missing metal with something (JB weld works sometimes)
- Don't tap, Helicoil the area as it is stronger
- If you have 'white-ish' liquid coming out of your crankcase, you have leak in your coolant system somewhere and it is contaminating your oil; probably the waterpump seal.

• jeanluconze

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:42 PM

R or L?

interesting.... whitish fluid... hmmmm. maybe coolant/oil mix in a water passage if R?

If it's an L... I'm stumped

• philipstjohn

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I would wait to run it again until you know where you are. Drilling thru may also have added some metal shavings to the mix. Also, the "whiteish stuff" sure sounds like a water and oil mixture to me as well. Minimize any damage at this point. :busted: :banghead:

• sparki66

Posted December 19, 2007 - 03:46 PM

don't think it's oil in coolant tbh... oil changes are always fine, straight oil with no odd smells or colour... the bike is a 650R, as mentioned on the left side (JUST forward of the top rear engine mount... trying to figure out on engine diagrams where it's at.... it doesn't feel like oil but then, who knows.

the entire drill bit didn't go through, just the tip so the hol is a fraction of the size of the bit, must be 2mm in diameter. .i was figuring to plug it and weld it in... could i get away with doing this in the frame do you think... maybe disconnect the ignition etc first but ?

appreciate the help guys.. appreciated

steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sparki66

Posted December 19, 2007 - 04:03 PM

ok... found this..... the bolt hole is pretty close to the centre of where i've circled.... maybe i got lucky.... think i may have hit the big shaped bit on the left and along the top bit...

what dya think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• scalejockey

Posted December 19, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Is that the vent area for the crankcase. That can have moisture in it. Has the moisture plug been drained lately?

• sparki66

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:58 PM

that's was was going through my mind also..... my ignorance is about to show when i ask........ where/how do i do that?

thanks.. hopefully that's where it is :banghead:

• knuklehead

Posted December 20, 2007 - 10:07 AM

I think that is a small chamber in /above the gear box,baffled to the gear box.Maybe just moisture mixed with motor oil traped in that chamber giving you the milky stuff.Never had the case's split on my R but I recall a chamber like that on my L when I split the case's.

• martinfan30

Posted December 20, 2007 - 12:22 PM

+1...

• sparki66

Posted December 21, 2007 - 03:21 AM

:busted: thanks for the info and ideas guys... it's much appreciated and certainly helped set my mind at rest... nothing quite like the thought of drilling through your crankcases to make you wake up and think twice before taking a power tool to the engine in future.... lesson well and truly learned!

have a great christmas all..... and thanks for helping set my mind at rest :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.