Turning issues-04' vs 06'

5 replies to this topic
  • 99raptor

Posted December 19, 2007 - 01:03 PM

I have an 04 yz450 and I've never really been satisfied the way it turns.I have never had the opportunity to ride an aluminum framed yz.From what I've read and heard they are far superior to the steel framed early 450's in the turns.Anyone have comments,or is their anyway to make my '04 carve some turns.

• Vinny2692

Posted December 19, 2007 - 04:56 PM

There are many threads on this, but here goes anyway.
I have never had the opertunity to ride an aluminum fram yz either, but i am looking to buy one so i have done extensive research. From what i understand, you will never make your 04' turn like an 06+, but to help i know that many recomment changing your fron tire, i beleive many recomend the dunlop 756. Also, bringing your forks up can also make a difference. Up 5mm at a time i beleive. Triple clamps and a storm link are also other options that are a little more pricey.

• Nitrox

Posted December 19, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I had an 04 and thought I was happy with the turning until I rode an 06 Honda. I then tried the storm link and this may sound weird but also a very light flywheel. Between the two it did make a difference. I did do a report on here a few years ago. Over all I was happy with the two small changes.

I now have an 07. Big difference. It turns way better than my modified 04. And with no mods. It will cut inside with very little effort. But, not like a Honda.

One other thing is that both the 04 and 07 have had stiffer springs installed and were tuned/re-valved for me. That is the best thing and first thing I always do to a new bike.

my $.02

Craig

I have an 04 yz450 and I've never really been satisfied the way it turns.I have never had the opportunity to ride an aluminum framed yz.From what I've read and heard they are far superior to the steel framed early 450's in the turns.Anyone have comments,or is their anyway to make my '04 carve some turns.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted December 19, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Booo-whooo I can't turn my wonderful fast and powerful YZ - it just wants to go straight.

I ride a 04 YZ450 and love the way it turns. Does it turn as sharp as the Honda or Suz? No - thank goodness - it does not shake its head either. Those things are head shake monsters. I have ridden the 07 and I think the reason it turns better has more to do with the power. I think the bike also sits a little lower.

I have not ridden a 03 to 05 with a large quiet muffler, but my guess is that it would turn a little better - more power = straight momentum / less power = less momentum.

Ok if I ever sell my bike and move the 06 or up I will probably be converted.

• nap__kxf

Posted December 19, 2007 - 06:43 PM

if you were going to buy a newer 450, get the 07 over the 06 if you can, my dad has the 06 and i have the 07 and the difference in handling is night and day. his 06, the weight feels so awkward that the bike just doesn't want to lean, itjust wants to stand straight up, and my 07 it feels so much lighter, like a 250f compared to his bike, and its just really flickable.

aim for the 07 if you can.

• BergArabia

Posted December 23, 2007 - 03:30 AM

Booo-whooo I can't turn my wonderful fast and powerful YZ - it just wants to go straight.

I ride a 04 YZ450 and love the way it turns. Does it turn as sharp as the Honda or Suz? No - thank goodness - it does not shake its head either. Those things are head shake monsters. I have ridden the 07 and I think the reason it turns better has more to do with the power. I think the bike also sits a little lower.

I have not ridden a 03 to 05 with a large quiet muffler, but my guess is that it would turn a little better - more power = straight momentum / less power = less momentum.

Ok if I ever sell my bike and move the 06 or up I will probably be converted.

My 05 turns poorly, most of the time and really good sometimes. That is mostly because of my lame riding ability and the fact that sometimes I do get it right.
But my 07 CRF is easier to turn. But both are harder to turn since I put paddles on them. Will be putting better front tires on soon and hopefully that will improve things..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.