quickest way to straighten valve stems

15 replies to this topic
  • RandoShadow

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

The bike I bought has the valve stems all angeled and I fear if I ride I will get flats.

What is the easiest/quickest way to straighten them without having to take the tire off the rim to get to the tube

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sadowski21

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

Get faster and taking the wheel off..:banghead:

I wouldent ride with it like that one slight shift in the tube will cause the valve stem to rip of then your stuck with a flat tire.

• Wiz636

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

You can try letting all the air out, loosening the rimlock and then 'breaking' the tire bead away from the rim on both sides...then you might be able to rotate the tire on the rim enough to straighten things out. If not, you will have to get your tire irons out and remove one side of the tire from the rim in order to move things.

• STEEL CITY ROCKER

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

let all the air out of the tube by removing the valve core, then try to squeeze the beads of the tire off the rim. Spray a soapy water soluton around the beads of the tire on both sides then get a buddy to hold the brake on while you turn the tire in the direction needed to straighten the stem. I've had good luck with this trick!

• RandoShadow

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

You can try letting all the air out, loosening the rimlock and then 'breaking' the tire bead away from the rim on both sides...then you might be able to rotate the tire on the rim enough to straighten things out. If not, you will have to get your tire irons out and remove one side of the tire from the rim in order to move things.

that is what I wanted to avoid. I did that with the front tire and it was a pain in the a$$. The tire wouldnt slip even with the valve stem out and bead broke. I even bounce the tire to try to get thing shifted and it almost got it into place but I still had to pull off one side and move the tube. Took me like an hour :banghead:

• RandoShadow

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

damn, i didn't think of using soapy water. I now remember back in my original riding days I used a solution of water and mister clean

• Veccster

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

The soap solution may work but it you may also get soap around the tube which could make it stick more in the future.

I heavily coat my tubes with baby power to allow the tire to move past the tube without pulling on it.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

listen just let the air out of the tub and loosing the nut on the stem, then tighting the nut and it will move the stem back up straight then fill it with air.

or just ride the bike. im sure you wont get a flat if the stem is a little sideways..

• matt4x4

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

Instead of soap - use Windex, it doesn't leave a residue, other than that, do as said above - break both beads and spin.

• LunatikGixxer

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

i accidently put mine in like 5 months ago on the front tire a little crooked.. i was worried about it too but i dont tighten down the stem nut all the way so it has room to move.. just dont tighten down the stem nut leave it loose and u should be good.. dont take it off tho bcuz then the stem could go inside the rim and u will have to take apart ur tire which u didnt want to do

• El Marko

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

It's not a "stem nut" it's a rim lock.

The stem nut is what holds on your steering stem . . . up there on the opposite side of the bike.

• HrcRacing

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

It's not a "stem nut" it's a rim lock.

The stem nut is what holds on your steering stem . . . up there on the opposite side of the bike.

Tubes usually come with a nut therefore the "stem nut" or valve stem nut.

I've had good luck by just letting the air out and then tightening a stem nut down a bit to pull it in allignment. Never had to go through some of the extremes mentioned, knock on wood. :banghead:

PS: Make sure that you coat your tubes with baby powder to help eliminate tube/stem movement in the first place.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Loosen the rim lock and stem nut both. Grab a large pair of pliers and break the rim loose form the bead. Now take a large tire iron, poke it into the rear wheel across the swingarm, then roll the tire in the direction the stem is pointing. The iron through the rim will keep it still. A little racing secret, dont tighten down the stem nut (valve core) install it, put the valve cap on and run the stem nut up against the cap, hand snug only. This will prevent the tube from tearing wqith small tire slippage, and will allow you to see the stem shift to know trouble in advance. With the stem nut locked down tight, you dont know the tire is slipping.

• RandoShadow

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

PS: Make sure that you coat your tubes with baby powder to help eliminate tube/stem movement in the first place.

this was a used bike I just bought. I might just install some new heavy duty tubes just so I don't have to worry about them

• RaceMX84

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Simple. Remove the valve stem nut completely. Since doing that i have not ripped a valve stem out. If the nut's not on there the tube can move alot easier. Worst case you just end up with a valve stem that turns so its inside the tire but chances are you wont get a flat. Really the only way to rip a valve stem out is if the cap/threads of the stem get caught on the rim.

• crf450xracer

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

ok i dont know it anyone else said this but this has worked for me. put your bike on a stand with the front wheel off the ground and with the wheel still on the bike let the air out and loosen the rim lock then spin the wheel backwards fast,quickly pull the front break and hope for the best. you may need to do this a few times.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.