This is why

I like this video! What a cool way of showing the power and ear to ear grin that this bike can give. We all know it is the altimat desert bike but, the raw power is showen here! Doesn't take much to make it run cool and make the radiators indestructable.

haha, sweet vid. did you see the radiator boillingover?

na, sometimes i wish i opted for the R.

You had better not try one. A few years ago I was having dome engine problems on my 600 and I wasn't going to be able to get it back together before a 5 day trip to Kennedy Meadows. A friend loaned me a bone stock still corked 650R. Even corked the power was about as good as my 600 if not slightly better. The suspension was better.

There are a few things about the two bikes that does not get talked about.

The XR650R frame is just over ten pounds heavier then the XL650L! The 'R's' frame maybe aluminum but, that is not what makes the bike any lighter! The XL650L engine is air cooled, no water to weigh it down but, it is over ten pounds heavier then the water cooled XR650R! We have fun as step childeren about the two different bikes but, Honda could/should make a XR/XL/CRF/SM out of one bike frame/engine that would just have tail/rake being different for the job at hand. There is no reason for the XR650R frame to be so heavy! The XL650L should have a bullet proff lighter water cooled engine.

Oh, No, I can see another 10,000 post thread of ripping what bike is best! Flame on! The 'R' rips and the 'Lame' 'L' 'Limps to Starbucks!:D:busted::banghead:

The best part about that thread is I started it with a statement that should have put to bed the whole 'which is better' thing- its about what's better for what you're going to do!

Dave

Times have changed, was 80~90% XR650R guys and lots of those raced, now it's 80~90% Latte riders. The XR650R riders are all but, gone. The "L" riders don't need a bike that you have to be fit to ride, going to fast to sit down and has was to much grin power. It is true that most "L" riders are way over weight and work in a cubical/office. The "L" does have enough power to handle that.:banghead:

Times have changed, was 80~90% XR650R guys and lots of those raced, now it's 80~90% Latte riders. The XR650R riders are all but, gone. The "L" riders don't need a bike that you have to be fit to ride, going to fast to sit down and has was to much grin power. It is true that most "L" riders are way over weight and work in a cubical/office. The "L" does have enough power to handle that.:D

So you're saying L riders are educated white collar types? You're probably right. If I didn't get my geophysics degree, I would have bought the R. But then I'd be making $15/hour and lifting stuff all day long. :banghead::D

C'mon guys... R's are great bikes, L's are great bikes. Love thy neighbor for going red.

:busted:

Times have changed, was 80~90% XR650R guys and lots of those raced, now it's 80~90% Latte riders. The XR650R riders are all but, gone. The "L" riders don't need a bike that you have to be fit to ride, going to fast to sit down and has was to much grin power. It is true that most "L" riders are way over weight and work in a cubical/office. The "L" does have enough power to handle that.:busted:

Hey!! ...... I resemble that remark!! :D:banghead::busted::D