08 yz450f RG-3 TRIPLE CLAMP QUESTIONS

6 replies to this topic
  • bingslee

Posted December 18, 2007 - 02:08 PM

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE RG-3 22mm OFFSET TRIPLE CLAMP ON THIER 08 YZ450F?????
AM LOOKING AT PUTING ONE ON MY BIKE TO GIVE SHARPER STEERING. I HAD A SET ON MY 06 CRF250F AND THEY MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE BUT NOT SURE ABOUT PUTTING THEM ON THE YZ.
THE RG-3 WEBSITE SAYS THE STOCK OFFSET IS 25mm BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS CHANGED TO 24mm THIS YEAR WITH THE FRONT END CHANGES???. IT APPEARS THEY HAVE KEPT THE SAME SPEC FROM THE 07 AND SAID IT WILL DO THE SAME THING ON THE 08 EVEN THOUGH YAMAHA HAVE MADE CHANGES??:banghead:
SOME FIRST HAND FEED BACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
SOMENOE MUST BE RUNNING THEM.
I HAVE HAD MY SUSPENSION REVALVED AND SPRUNG TO MY HEIGHT AND WEIGHT BY PETER MELTON RACING, AND IT MADE THE BIKE TURN HEAPS BETTER (FORKS 12mm HIGHER IN CLAMPS, 103 SAG AND REAR LOWERED 5mm), BUT STILL WONT CORNER AS GOOD AS THE CRF DID.
HOPING THE RG-3 TRIPLE CLAMP WILL MAKE IT THE BUSINESS!

• grayracer513

Posted December 18, 2007 - 03:08 PM

Please don't type with the Caps Lock engaged.

Thanks

• MotoXT

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Why are you yelling:rant: Just kidding. You have your bike settings almost exactly where mine are - 103mm sag, but I've got my forks raised 15mm. I'm happy where it's at, as long as I'm using good form. I think this bike really demands that to turn its best. In tight corners I'm up on the tank, pushing down on outside peg and in with outside knee, elbow up, and last but not least, looking ahead.

When I'm riding like that the bike goes exactly where I want it to. If you are considering an aftermarket triple clamp beware of RG3's recommended offsets. I took their recommendation on my KX, went from 24mm to 20mm, and it was too much. I think that going from the Yamaha's 25mm to 22mm would be too much as well. Yamaha kept the triple clamp off-set the same for '08 as '07, but moved the axle back in the front wheel mounts about 1mm, thereby creating the same effect as going to 24mm triple clamps. Last but not least, get rid of that 742 front tire, it's junk. I run MS3's outdoors and Maxxis IT indoors and they hook up great in those applications.

If you are hell bent on getting new clamps maybe consider the Red Barrons. They allow you to try two different offsets, 24mm and 22mm I believe. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:32 PM

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE RG-3 22mm OFFSET TRIPLE CLAMP ON THIER 08 YZ450F?????
AM LOOKING AT PUTING ONE ON MY BIKE TO GIVE SHARPER STEERING. I HAD A SET ON MY 06 CRF250F AND THEY MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE BUT NOT SURE ABOUT PUTTING THEM ON THE YZ.
THE RG-3 WEBSITE SAYS THE STOCK OFFSET IS 25mm BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS CHANGED TO 24mm THIS YEAR WITH THE FRONT END CHANGES???. IT APPEARS THEY HAVE KEPT THE SAME SPEC FROM THE 07 AND SAID IT WILL DO THE SAME THING ON THE 08 EVEN THOUGH YAMAHA HAVE MADE CHANGES??:banghead:
SOME FIRST HAND FEED BACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
SOMENOE MUST BE RUNNING THEM.
I HAVE HAD MY SUSPENSION REVALVED AND SPRUNG TO MY HEIGHT AND WEIGHT BY PETER MELTON RACING, AND IT MADE THE BIKE TURN HEAPS BETTER (FORKS 12mm HIGHER IN CLAMPS, 103 SAG AND REAR LOWERED 5mm), BUT STILL WONT CORNER AS GOOD AS THE CRF DID.
HOPING THE RG-3 TRIPLE CLAMP WILL MAKE IT THE BUSINESS!

I tried the 22.5 offset Pro Circuit clamps on my 08 this past weekend at Glen Helen. I really had no complaints with the stock set up but these came at an unbelievable price...150.00.....and that was with stem and lower bearing installed. I like the fact that you can run them in either solid or rubber mounting for the handlebars also. As far as really noticing a difference????? Yeah I noticed the bike turned a little sharper and stability at speed wasn't any different. I really think you can get the same characteristics by playing with the fork height and your rear sag. Overall i like it....but I wouldn't pay retail for a set.

• bingslee

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:11 PM

sorry abuot the caps lock gray!! wont do it again, promise!! thought i had to yell cos so far away in oz and all.
as far as good form, fair call! i know the front tyre is shit but was gonna wait till it was worn to replace it. might try 15mm on the front forks and soften the clickers a little. was hopin the missus would sponsor the triple clamps for chrissy so might be trying them anyway!
thanx for the feedback.

• MotoXT

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:20 PM

sorry abuot the caps lock gray!! wont do it again, promise!! thought i had to yell cos so far away in oz and all.
as far as good form, fair call! i know the front tyre is shit but was gonna wait till it was worn to replace it. might try 15mm on the front forks and soften the clickers a little. was hopin the missus would sponsor the triple clamps for chrissy so might be trying them anyway!
thanx for the feedback.

Forgot one other thing to fool with, and that's rebound. Try slowing it down a bit and as long as it doesn't negatively effect other parts of the track, it can also help keep that front tire planted.

• todds924

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Forgot one other thing to fool with, and that's rebound. Try slowing it down a bit and as long as it doesn't negatively effect other parts of the track, it can also help keep that front tire planted.

also try running a little less sag on your shock...98mm will make it turn much better also.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.