CDI repair?

30 replies to this topic
  • Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone know of a website that shows how to repair CDI's? I have one thats giving me fits on my NX250 and would like to give it a shot before I shell out $170 for a new one. I already have it opened up but I'm not sure what to look for.

• cleonard

Posted December 18, 2007 - 12:05 PM

Unfortunately, it is basically impossible to remove the plastic potting material so you can get at the components.

What kind of CDI does the NX250 use? If it is the same as the 80's and 90's XR/XL CDI it should be possible to use one of the aftermarket units that sell on ebay for $50 to $70. If the NX uses a 12 volt CDI like the XR650L you might be stuck with getting a new one. Electrex makes an aftermarket one and the part number is CD1250.

Before replacing the CDI, try and eliminate all other sources of problems, such as the stator, pickup, coil, plug ans plug wire.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 18, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Actually the back side is already removed exposing the solder joints.

I'm pretty sure its a 12 volt CDI because its e-start. Its almost twice the size as my XR600 CDI.
I've already elimated all the other possabilities, the CDI's on late 80's and early 90's are know to be a weak link.

• cleonard

Posted December 18, 2007 - 01:26 PM

You might try going over the solder joints with a soldering iron. A common failure is vibration induced cracking in the solder joints. It's worth a try since its easy and quick. That is one of the big reasons everything is potted in plastic.

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 01:48 PM

thats a 12 volt if its that big.

+1 on resoldering. i fixed the engine ECU in one of my toyota pu's by doing this.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 18, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I'm going to give it a shot, I just hope I don't solder something thats not supposed to be. :banghead:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 18, 2007 - 03:13 PM

If its not a solder joint, it may be a failed electrolytic capacitor in the +12V to 300VAC (or 150 or 200 or whatever) stage.

If you can see the caps, look for one with a bulged case or a 'blown' lid, or with discoloration around the legs.

I think this is what kills XR650L CDIs as well.

Dave

• tgstoken

Posted December 18, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I have been having some very annoying issues with my 650L and I think its my CDI. Your NX just dying for no reason? Is there no consistant time of death? Mine just dies at random intervals. Sometimes it will run for a couple hours and sometimes it wont start at all. When mine acts up, I just pull it out and whack it againt the frame a few times. That usually works for a while. Try it.:banghead:

When mine acts up, I just pull it out and whack it againt the frame a few times.

Hehe, that sounds kinda funny.:busted:

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hehe, that sounds kinda funny.:banghead:[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Well, it I tap the CDI against the frame it will run for a little while then die untill I tap on it again.
Looks like I'll have to order a new one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tgstoken

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Looks like I'll have to order a new one.

Yup, I just ordered a new one for my 650L today.

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:31 PM

just curious, what are the model years of your bikes that are needing a new CDI?

• tgstoken

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Mines a '93 XR650L with only 7500 miles.

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 10:16 PM

funny, i see most guys that have cdi problems on L's that are pre-'95.

coincidence?:banghead:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 08:50 AM

A friend is going to let me try his spare XR650L CDI to see if they are the same. Physically they are identical, I bet if it does work the rev limiter setpoint will be lower than the NX250 one.

• August West

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:42 AM

I've had what I thought were CDI problems on my '93 XR650L and since the CDI itself is embedded in epoxy, it's more likely that there's a problem with the wiring harness near the CDI connectors. My most successful fix is to work the connectors on and off to wear off any corrosion that might have increased impedance and then I took the CDI with the wiring harness attached and put a few twists in it by spinning the CDI a few times to put a mechanical strain on the wires going into the connector parts and then reinstalling the CDI with the strain still on the wires. Now my bike runs fine!:banghead:

Obviously you don't want to twist the wires so much that you break any of the wires...:D If this works for you then you know it's not the CDI!:busted:

• xr650l bum

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:51 AM

funny, i see most guys that have cdi problems on L's that are pre-'95.

coincidence?:banghead:

Maybe they have a 13 year life span?

A friend is going to let me try his spare XR650L CDI to see if they are the same. Physically they are identical, I bet if it does work the rev limiter setpoint will be lower than the NX250 one.

If the cdi for the 650 will work on the 250, then it would work the other way. If what you say about the rev limiter is true, then you could swap the 250cdi to the 650 and increase the rev setpoint

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 10:43 AM

Maybe they have a 13 year life span?

If the cdi for the 650 will work on the 250, then it would work the other way. If what you say about the rev limiter is true, then you could swap the 250cdi to the 650 and increase the rev setpoint

Ya but if thats the case you don't want a 650L reving that high! These NX250's are dual overhead cam screamers.

• tgstoken

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:01 AM

When I get my new CDI, I'll chime in on how it works and whether or not it solves my problem. But heck, you really can't blame a 15 year old electronic component for finally crapping out. My '93 has a little cam chain noise, but other than that, it runs perfectly when the CDI is working.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:21 PM

Ya but if thats the case you don't want a 650L reving that high! These NX250's are dual overhead cam screamers.

The rev limiter might not help, but if it has a better advance curve...

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.