Any diffrence in XR650R and XR650L???

44 replies to this topic
  • jeanluconze

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:35 PM

why haven't they split this forum yet? is there any other forum on TT where 2 bikes are included in the same forum based on engine cc's alone?

CAN'T THEY SEE THAT THIS IS TEARING US APART?:D

Oh well, at least most of us can still agree that :banghead: is :busted:

• abrumfield

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:39 PM

Sorry to say the R and the L are not the same.

• Bibleman

Posted December 19, 2007 - 03:29 PM

"L" rules and "R" drools. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:prof: :banghead: :busted: :D :D :busted:

• Old Graybeard

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:00 AM

If I didn't have a 250 2 stroke parked next to the L I might have tried an R. Mainly bought the L for street use. I am not a cruiser/sport bike type. Better not ever ride an R cause it might change my mind. lol

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 20, 2007 - 03:11 PM

The L and the R are EXACTLY the same; you can tell just by looking. No differences.
http://www.4strokes....onda/allxrs.asp
http://www.4strokes....articles/honda/

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 20, 2007 - 06:18 PM

The XR650L and the XR650R are completely different!
The XR650L and the XR600R are very similar but there are a few differences.

• Aurora

Posted December 23, 2007 - 06:49 PM

No sense sinking a ton of money into something you are unsure of.
Pick up a low mileage used 650L.
Give it a try for one season.
If you don't like it, sell it and buy a 650R.

Remember that 2007 is the last year of the 650R.

I never own an enduro (well I did 25 years ago), just Harleys. Now a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird.

After riding the L and uncorked R, there is no way I would be happy with the L. Mind you I am riding 90% on the street.

Plans are to ride a Butt Burner with the XR650R. That is 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Which ever bike you purchase, just have fun.

• Maroast

Posted December 23, 2007 - 10:58 PM

The L and the R are EXACTLY the same; you can tell just by looking. No differences.

I heard that the XR650R/L is the exact same bike as the xr400 too. The 650 motors are just punched out 400 motors. Oh, and come to think of it, the xr400 motors are really just punched out xr250 motors.... But they are all slung on the same frames/ suspension, so they are all basically the same bike. Hey! maybe we should just merge the xr650, xr600, xr400, and xr250 forums all together!! :banghead:

• Suikerland

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:44 AM

In a way, the R is actually more 'forgiving' than the L.

Before I get shot down, here's what I mean - I'm relatively noob at offroad riding (less than a year, maybe 20 -30 or so dirt rides), and here's what I'm managing on the R:

It's nothing amazing, but that's with carrying 2 litres of water, tools, 2-way radio, etc - a lot of weight.

With my experience, I don't think I could ride that terrain on the L.
I'd have to be a much better rider to deal with the L's weight/power/suspension disadvantage.
As a reliable dirt tourer I think the L is great, it depends on where you want to take it and what experience you have. A less experienced ride can take the R to places he can't take the L.

My learning curve means I'm better off with a more capable dirt bike, so the R gives me the most bang for my buck. Advantage is the my R is street legal so I can ride it to and from the dirt. I'd say if you want to go really offroad (i.e. NO road), get the best tool you can get. And I reckon with a wider seat (I got one) the R is just as comfortable as the L.

Having said that, they're both damn fine bikes.
My 0.2...

• miguelitro

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:23 PM

if you have to ask, get the L

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dldavis_66

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Probably one of the most obvious differences between the L and the R is that the R is Liquid Cooled...????

• BWB63

Posted December 25, 2007 - 09:39 AM

I heard that the XR650R/L is the exact same bike as the xr400 too. The 650 motors are just punched out 400 motors. Oh, and come to think of it, the xr400 motors are really just punched out xr250 motors.... But they are all slung on the same frames/ suspension, so they are all basically the same bike. Hey! maybe we should just merge the xr650, xr600, xr400, and xr250 forums all together!! :banghead:

This is much like the KTM but, there is a small difference that makes a big difference, depending on the difference you feel:blah: The XR50R is when the big change in the evolution of the XL650L. The great big change was in the Trail 50 to an XR50R that started all XR bikes and the heart of the XL650L:p I know you guys that know about the added e-start and better graffix would say this makes the XL650L more streetable then the XR50 but they do use the same steel frame. Not the aluminum frame of the now XR650R step child.

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:21 PM

beat it like a red-headed step child!lol

• philipstjohn

Posted December 25, 2007 - 07:55 PM

If you are not sure if you should buy an "R", then the "L" is probably all the bike you will need...:busted: :banghead:

• dldavis_66

Posted December 26, 2007 - 02:47 AM

There are definately differences between the L and the R. If you ever get to a showroom where you can see both bikes side by side the differences are apparent even at a glance. The main frame and suspension(front and back) are more beefier. As I mentioned in a previous reply, the R is liquid cooled. The exhaust ports are completely different too: the ports on the L come straight out whereas on the R they kinda triangulated so OEM or any aftermarket exhaust systems are not interchangeable. The carbs are not the same either. The L has a "smog pump" (on the left side)which pumps fresh air to the exhaust ports, which if take a closer look, you will see the little pipes that are hooked up to the smog pump and then bolted on the front side of the cylinder right below the exhaust ports on the head.

In my opinion, if you truly want a "go anywhere bike" right out off the showroom floor then the L is the best bike. It's street legal and just as versatile as the R in trails. Granted, the tires kinda suck, especially in the dirt, but a set of DOT trial tires can improve performance on the dirt significantly. I put a set of IRC GP1's on mine and was very impressed with how they gripped on loose gravel/sand on hard-pack. Blew all the other DOT tires away on the dirt AND on wet asphalt. Couldn't believe it, especially for the price.

I reckon it all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go on the bike. The R is the greatest if you want to race in the desert, or if you own 1000 acres of scrub and just want to ride at home. If you have $4000 to spend on getting the R street legal, if at all possible....buy why??? With the L, you don't have to worry about riding out of season, you don't need a pass, just keep your registration up to date, gas in your tank, and you can go anywhere, anytime.

If you want to MX or SX...forget it!!! Neither bike is made for that.

Do you want a dirt bike or do you want a Dual Sport??? The R is just an oversized dirtbike made mostly for open desert trial riding/racing. In my opinion, both the L and the R are too big and still too heavy a bike to be riding tight trails. The L can take you anywhere, anytime. Take you to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner then bust out some trail riding on the way back home. It's a DUAL SPORT!!! :-)

• Suikerland

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:34 AM

If you are not sure if you should buy an "R", then the "L" is probably all the bike you will need...:busted: :banghead:

Not so sure about that... the L is gonna be harder to handle in rough stuff. Lighter weight of the R is a big plus when the going gets tough.

• GreenMachineExtreme64

Posted March 27, 2013 - 06:48 PM

To revive this old thread......I was looking into a new 2013 L, but not since I've researched the R.

since I already have a street bike, I am now wanting an off road bike that is mainly a dirt bike with huge power, good suspension, lighter weight, and strong dirtbike attributes, but one that is barely street legal enough to get me out to the trails to ride.

Seems the R is exactly what I was wanting, not an L. Glad I found out about the R before buying a new L.

Edited by GreenMachineExtreme64, March 27, 2013 - 06:48 PM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 27, 2013 - 07:19 PM

To revive this old thread......I was looking into a new 2013 L, but not since I've researched the R.

since I already have a street bike, I am now wanting an off road bike that is mainly a dirt bike with huge power, good suspension, lighter weight, and strong dirtbike attributes, but one that is barely street legal enough to get me out to the trails to ride.

Seems the R is exactly what I was wanting, not an L. Glad I found out about the R before buying a new L.

The R is not going to be street legal in alot of places. The motor vehicle division here is starting to catch on here in NM and is now beginning to issue OHV tags when it comes time for renewal even though we have street-legal titles. :cry:

I may have to sell mine if it becomes OHV only. :foul:

• 1984atc250r

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:08 AM

Prepare for headaches inspecting an R.$150 for a lighting coil,$400 for headlight,used Cbr speedo,inspector made me put on chain guard for rear passenger even though no passenger on insurance and ten trips to motor vehicle with trailer.Also they can make you put on a metal tank in some states.After all was said and done the seargeant fought with me and almost kept my title and inspection papers beeing a prick even though his buddy approved it.Now my Moose coil is shit and the company that made my headlight kit is fubared.Good luck

• 1984atc250r

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:16 AM

Prepare for headaches registering an R.$150 for coil,$400 for kit.Inspector made me put a speedo,rear chain guard even though no passenger on my insurance.Can also make you put metal tank.Ten trips with trailer to Dmv.One fight with a sergeant who tried to keep my title almost resulted in jail time.Problems with my Moose coil and a headlight company I cant stand.As far as overheating one is no better than the other,if you overheat she will still get you home after.No Honda has ever left me stranded.Sorry for the double post

Edited by 1984atc250r, March 28, 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.