Any diffrence in XR650R and XR650L???

44 replies to this topic
  • F22RAPTOR

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:58 AM

I'm considering getting a new 08 xr650L dual sport and was just wondering if all the parts and pipes are interchangable, I cant seem to find anything for the 650L but a ton of stuff for the 650R.:banghead: Thanks.

• knuklehead

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Totally dif.If you can get DSed,650R.Owned both and the R rules!!!

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:41 AM

the 2 bikes fill different purposes. if you will do more street, go L. more dirt, go R.

• Maroast

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Any diffrence in XR650R and XR650L???

None whats-so-ever. Both bikes are identical, just a different letter at the end of the name..... :busted: :banghead:

• Dave102429

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:27 PM

None whats-so-ever. Both bikes are identical, just a different letter at the end of the name.

What?!?! That's not even funny. :banghead:

Listen to BWB63, he knows the scoop.

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:32 PM

What?!?! That's not even funny. :banghead:

Listen to BWB63, he knows the scoop.

he was J/K.

• BWB63

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hey,
We all know that the 'L' can go to StarBuck's and get a capachino much better then the 'R' could ever!

What about fighting monky butt on the freeway? Your arse would be all locked up with cramps in thirty minute on an 'R;!!

Yes, it is proven fact that the guys on the 'R's' have to stand up through the miles of whoops doing 70+mph, are scared to death when jumping 65' table tops or about to die from racing 250 or more miles in a SCORE or BITD race! Who would ever want to own a bike that would put you through such trama?!!:banghead: :busted:

You can do a search to get the full scoop but, the 'XL' and 'XR' are not a little close to the same bike:

The XR650L is a steel frame bike, battery, electric start, street ready, air cooled.

XR650R is a dirt bike with an Aluminum frame, water cooled, 50 pounds lighter, no electric start, real suspension, has won all the Score Baja races from 1999~2006, and a ton more BITD, and district #37 races, awesome big bore or should I say big red boar?

This is an XR650R in action
Posted Image

www.borynack.com/xr650r.htm

www.borynack.com/XR650R

Got this video from somethig hill5150 posted; It would be nice to get someone on an 'L' pushing it into it's fun stuff for a comparison. This is a nice fun video for the difference in fun factor. I think it would be a staple for the question of what is the difference between the 'L' and the 'R' !

With this being a very good show for this type of fun the bigger difference is through the whoops, desert racing, single track and air time but, we all ready knew that.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Most aftermarket parts for an XR600R will work on the XR650L. I used an FMF Q2 exhaust list for a XR600R, it bolted up perfectly to a XR650L.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 19, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Yer not gonna hit the desert whoops or the jumps on an L like you would an R, but that's a moot point when the goin's tight, there is no trail, you're plowin' through the muck, its 90 degrees, and the waterheads are in the rear takin' a break and spewin' coolant while you're up front scouting the way.

Each bike has its place, and is better at things the other isn't, but if you're honest about what you're going to be doing, you'll end up with the one that's right for you.

Dave

• rdahl

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:45 AM

I've owned both, if you are serious about performance then you won't be happy with anything less than the R. I thought the L was was the best when i had it, now after owning an R and doing some races i'm ashamed to admit i owned an L :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert4seat

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:50 AM

The XR650L is a steel frame bike, battery, electric start, street ready, air cooled.

XR650R is a dirt bike with an Aluminum frame, water cooled, 50 pounds lighter, no electric start, real suspension, has won all the Score Baja races from 1999~2006, and a ton more BITD, and district #37 races, awesome big bore or should I say big red boar?

You got it right! But let me really break it down here.

The L is street legal go anywhere torque monster - right off the showroom floor…that’s right…it’s the most versatile weapon you can buy! (all you need is some real tires and some skill)
What other bike can claim that????? And don’t start in with all these overpriced/overheating exotics either…
I’m talking…GO anywhere, and most importantly GETTING BACK.

and

The R is a dirtbike.
And yes, if you want to win Baja..D37..etc, get the R! It does, without a doubt, (currently) rule the dez (not all dezerts though...)!
…but, you can still race Baja on the L though (I’ve seen worse down there).

But if you want to rule the world, get the L :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 19, 2007 - 10:02 AM

LOL! i like it.

• BWB63

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:02 AM

The 'L' comes way to lean, carb. sucks, the air cooled engine over heats just like the XR650R does off the show room floor, you just can't see it. The suspension suck on a stock XR650R but, it is fixable. The XL doesn't have real forks to fix. Both bikes are in the same price range at the Stealers. With the XR650R holding there price just a little better down the road. The XR650R can be made into a wounderful SM, duel sport bike, Baja Racer, Goat trail bike, but, the XL will always be just ok, just gets you there, doesn't rule anything.

I have owned all the XR's at one time or another, as has most any serious Honda Desert rider. Most XR650R guys tried the XL and moved on to something that truely ruled a kingdom!

• desert4seat

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I agree.
But the point I was trying to make…Is that all you really need (basics) right off the showroom floor is some tires (and SKILL).
I know about the carb, and the forks, and the pipe, and the filter, and the tank, and the bars, and the (insert inferiour stock part here______) but remember, it’s not a dirtbike.

The L, like I said earlier, is “the most versatile weapon you can buy.”
That whole “rule the world comment..” um, was just a joke.

The XR650R can be made into a wounderful SM, duel sport bike, Baja Racer, Goat trail bike

agree, but I’m in CA, like you… so, best of luck on converting that green-sticker R into a SM or DS.

the XL will always be just ok, just gets you there.

Awwww man, your killing me here.
Just OK? No way!
It’s a blast!
passing dirtbikes with my blinker on! :banghead:

• Motosprtman

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Oh hell ... ones a thoroughbred dirt-bike and one is a daul sport. If your gonna race and or want dirt only pure performance buy the R.

If your gonna plunk along have some fun and still feel like your riding a thoroughbred buy the L -

2 different bikes with 2 different personalities and intent.

• martinfan30

Posted December 19, 2007 - 01:42 PM

THATS it sportsman! different bikes, different styles.

• BWB63

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Oh hell ... ones a thoroughbred dirt-bike and one is a daul sport. If your gonna race and or want dirt only pure performance buy the R.

If your gonna plunk along have some fun and still feel like your riding a thoroughbred buy the L -

2 different bikes with 2 different personalities and intent.

I have a Green stickered 680cc XR650R Bought it and registered it myself, along with XR400's. I am not the only one that has done it after they say you can't. We have a 06' CRF450X in town that is plated! David Gray, Mr. Lewis, Matt Stamper all have plates. I got shut down in Redlands, drove to Banning got plates. David Gray got plates for a stock XR650R in Palm springs, not blinkers, nothing. They looked my bikes over real well but, I still got the plates.

and that is right different bikes different styles.

Almost everything I say is just in good fun.....I do have issues with those that think that water cool is a reliability issue. I see it just the other way around. I ride very very hard and crash even harder. Jetted right, the XR650R doesn't boil and never have I not made it back.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Dont think the R isant as good as the L on the road either. Sorry to all you L guys but the 650R wins every catagory except comfort on long trips...I bought mine for road only use and i ride around 1500 miles a month on it, its bulletproof, and owns anything on the road from 0-60. Even though its my main road commuter i cant help but slap the knobbies back on because there are some awsome dirt roads where i am, and the 650R owns dirt roads to:thumbsup:

I quess ive never really been treated to something with "good suspension" but the 650R suspension is awsome to me. The only way your gona decide between the 2 is to read about them and relize what each is for. Everybody on here has diffornt goals for what they want the bike to do.

• martinfan30

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:14 PM

have you owned a 650L?

i dont see water cooling as a drawback myself. i just prefer the simplicity of air cooling. plus i think a big old goofy finned head looks cool!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:18 PM

Dont think the R isant as good as the L on the road either. Sorry to all you L guys but the 650R wins every catagory except comfort on long trips...I bought mine for road only use and i ride around 1500 miles a month on it, its bulletproof, and owns anything on the road from 0-60. Even though its my main road commuter i cant help but slap the knobbies back on because there are some awsome dirt roads where i am, and the 650R owns dirt roads to:thumbsup:

I quess ive never really been treated to something with "good suspension" but the 650R suspension is awsome to me. The only way your gona decide between the 2 is to read about them and relize what each is for. Everybody on here has diffornt goals for what they want the bike to do.

I notice in your sig your R is a supermoto- you're not enjoying its awesome technical prowess in the tight, technical, hilly, rocky CT woods?

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.