04 YZ450F, kick starter shaft laid down..

5 replies to this topic
  • dirtcrazy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:20 PM

does anyone know if you have to remove the clutch basket to get this gear/shaft out? If so I assume there is a big nut in there, should I use a impact wrench to break it or what? I have never gone this deep in the engine.. Thanks!

• chrispy1202

Posted December 18, 2007 - 02:53 AM

If it's anything like my WR, the owners manual will soon become your best friend. I have my engine tore down and had to take it to a shop to get the driven gear behind the clutch basket removed with a specialty tool. (just to hold that piece to undo the nut)
Best of Luck!
Chris.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 18, 2007 - 11:24 AM

If it's anything like my WR, the owners manual will soon become your best friend. I have my engine tore down and had to take it to a shop to get the driven gear behind the clutch basket removed with a specialty tool. (just to hold that piece to undo the nut)
Best of Luck!
Chris.

Yes, you have to remove the clutch basket and a Big $ mistake and I can tell you from experience you need the tool to hold it in place while you tighten and loosen it:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtcrazy

Posted December 19, 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Guys! I know I am on a slippery slope here but since the kick starter gear shaft blew the side of the engine case out I am in deep smoke anyway.. :banghead: I am planing to try to weld the piece back in place otherwise $1500 in parts.. what do I have to loose?? bikes only worth ~$3000 running..

• todds924

Posted December 19, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yes, you have to remove the clutch basket and a Big $ mistake and I can tell you from experience you need the tool to hold it in place while you tighten and loosen it:bonk:

An air impact will take the nut off no problem...you don't need a clutch basket holder. Its easier if you take off the pressure plate to get to the nut but leave all the plates in the basket....this creates drag so the inner hub doesn't spin to fast when you hit it with the impact gun.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 20, 2007 - 05:42 PM

An air impact will take the nut off no problem...you don't need a clutch basket holder. Its easier if you take off the pressure plate to get to the nut but leave all the plates in the basket....this creates drag so the inner hub doesn't spin to fast when you hit it with the impact gun.

Cool :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.