Stock air filter without backfire screen

4 replies to this topic
  • PMAZ7

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Can you use the stock, thin little filter, without the backfire screen? Will it suck the entire filter into the box? Sorry to ask so many dumb questions, but I'm completely new and love my bike. Just want to do the best I can for it!

• bills442

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:10 PM

your bike won't suck the air filter in, as long as their is some kind of plastic supporting the shape of the air filter, most have a plastic cage inside the filter. This would be in addition to any anti-backfire screen. Only bike I ever owned that had one of those was a 92 xr250L. Truthfully if you are looking for more power, get your jetting spot on and open up the airbox a little, I doubt that screen it obstructing the airflow too much ... but I can understand your desire to remove it if you like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:21 AM

If it's a 650r you need "something" behind the filter to support it. Either the stock screen or aftermarket filter backing.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:53 AM

XR's only makes a less restrictive backfire screan, but you would be better off with a uni or K&N that has its own backing on the filter.

• PMAZ7

Posted December 19, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. This forum is extremely helpful!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.