02 426 Motor Locked Up

3 replies to this topic
  • KodiakGreen

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:51 PM

02 426 I was luggin the motor and the bike died I went to restart and the compression relase had no tension, after playing with the lever i finally got some tension out of it. I got the bike started and it idled for 30 seconds then made a loud deep sounding ping and just died. I drained the oil and inspected oil filter neither had any metal shavings. Its not locked up I can kick it through but it wont fire.

• brt 426

Posted December 18, 2007 - 04:16 AM

If the exhaust valves are open then your decompression cable will be slack. But that's not to say that the exhaust valve was stuck open and pulling on the cable hasn't released it. If that's the case then the exhaust valve hitting the piston would give you a noise like you described. Pop of the cam cover and check your clearances. If the valves are bent or stuck open you will have a large clearance on the offending valve/s.
When you kick it , does it have compression as usual? If not , can you hear air leaking out the exhaust or intake when kicking it over.
I would stop trying to start it till you have checked the valve area. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdbermshot

Posted December 18, 2007 - 03:42 PM

you didnt tell us if it had any compression--just that it would turn over---mine used to kick over but no compresson-then it would have some like a sticking valve or cable-but it would always start------your cam chain adjuster and chain may have caused it to jump time and you now have bent valves thus no compresson----i have rebuilt many and the highest wear areas are the cam chain and the small sprocket on crankshaft for camchain--- hey dig this---friend changed his oil and put a sign on seat saying no oil---he took sign off of bike to load up to ride---never put any oil in the bike---rode the bike for a good 20 min.--bike never seized up---he was sick---we tore that whole motor apart looking for bad stuff---replaced the crank and that little gear and cam chain look the worse......thats allfolks

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Lugging then a clunk on an older (worn) motor, my guess is the timing chain slipped a tooth or two because it was loose or because the crank sprocket was worn (or both). I recommend checking the valve timing, if it's off then I'll bet that's what happened.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.