Checking Valves

3 replies to this topic
  • bluebomb

Posted October 07, 2002 - 07:28 PM

I'm getting ready to check my vavles for the first time. My question is can you reuse the gasket off of the engine head? Or do I need to buy a new one?

• dominator426

Posted October 07, 2002 - 08:03 PM

You only need to remove the valve cover. You should be able to save the seal if careful...It looks like it can withstand a few R+R's...Check for leaks after restarting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted October 08, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Yeah, the gasket for the head cover is pretty harty, you shouldn't have any trouble reusing it...........with that said, inspect it for any dings or warped areas that may not seal again.

Peace

Dodger :D :)

• neWRiver

Posted October 08, 2002 - 07:02 AM

I've R&R'ed my valve cover several times and the gasket does not appear to suffer any wear. There's no real oil pressure behind it and the cover is only held on by a couple screws that seat before applying very much pressure on the cover.

The first time you remove the cover, you will find a thin residue on the gasket from some type of sealant. Just clean it all off and reuse it without sealant. I wet it with oil to help it seal up and I've never seen any sign of dirt intrusion or oil leakage.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.