how is the 06 yz 450 in the woods??

14 replies to this topic
  • shoulder

Posted December 17, 2007 - 10:09 AM

im thinking of trading my 04 ktm 300 mxc to a 06 yz 450 and i was just wondering how they do in the woods....mostly open and alot of hills....

• ivesy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:44 AM

I ride mine in bush and farmland a fair bit and its brilliant.

• BIG HAL

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Thats what I use! 06 YZ450 with a GYTR 9.3 once flywheel weight.. SWEEET!!!

• albertaguy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 12:51 PM

when it comes to using a stock 450 mx bike for the woods they are mostly similar. Gear it down, heavier flywheel, etc and they all work pretty good. However if that's your main riding style stick with a trail specific model and you will be amazed at the difference, benefits. If you're going new try ktm 450 or 505 xcf, it's no tamed down enduro, it pulls hard but has the gearing, flywheel,and gas tank you want. That beeing said I put a ton of hours in the mountains / hills with my 07 yzf450 (about the same as the 06) and did great.

• rooster wrooster

Posted December 17, 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have an '06 YZ I made street legal. I ride only trails. I couldn't be happier with it. But I bought it in '06 when there wasn't an aluminum frame WR. If I had to do it over again this year, I would probably get an '08 WR.

• kxman

Posted December 17, 2007 - 03:20 PM

That is the only place i ride mine. Revalve the forks, Zip-Ty carb mod, FWW, and woods armour. Awesome machine!

• Smokeslider

Posted December 17, 2007 - 04:31 PM

you almost have to go with a flywheel weight or rekluse....other than that, the 06 is a pretty good woods racer...with suspension mods of course...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bboyce

Posted December 19, 2007 - 01:26 PM

FWW or Rekluse...hmm I have neither and I think it does great in the trails.

• albertaguy

Posted December 20, 2007 - 12:26 PM

FWW or Rekluse...hmm I have neither and I think it does great in the trails.

I think everyone has a different idea of what "trails" are. I live on the Eastern edge of the Canadian Rockies so for me trails include huge rolling hills at the base on the mountains (called foothills, where most of our x-country races are held) and mountains that have massively long climbs with steep ledges or mini cliffs etc. For years I've been stricktly cr500 on this stuff, then in 05 went to pretty much stock 450's and they do great as you say but until you have ridden a bike with a heavier flywheel how do you know it's not an advantage. Until going to my ktm505xcf I had no idea how much better it could be. For my area guys luck with the rekluse has been hit and miss. Lots of times you need to be able to fan the clutch to get up and over stuff, shifting down alone doesn't always do it. If your "trails" are just trails in the woods with not a lot of steep technical climbs then probably stock 450 is fine.

• NorCal

Posted December 20, 2007 - 12:52 PM

I want a FFW, but I don't want to spend the money on one to realize I don't like it.

• bboyce

Posted December 20, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I want a FFW, but I don't want to spend the money on one to realize I don't like it.

Well, you don't know what your missing...so it can't be all that bad, unless you have ridden a bike like yours with a FWW.

• kxman

Posted December 21, 2007 - 05:58 AM

It is not like we are talking about a bunch of money. Get the complete Off-Road flywheel from Yamaha. About $100, call it a Christmas present to yourself.

• TooFast

Posted December 21, 2007 - 09:27 AM

I've got an 06 WR450 and an 06YZ450 ($5000 OTD last August)...both have good points. Definitely like the ighter YZ but I'm getting real serious about putting a WR trans into the YZ for our Rocky Mountain climbing and high speed desert....

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2007 - 11:49 AM

... I'm getting real serious about putting a WR trans into the YZ for our Rocky Mountain climbing and high speed desert....

If you decide to do that, remember to use parts for a 2007 WR. The '06 parts will not fit, as the '06 WR is the as the '03-'05.

• TooFast

Posted December 21, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reminder GR513, I'm waiting on a quote from TT for the parts. I really hate opening up a new motor so it might just be next summer when the high country opens up and get some Moab/Green River Utah miles on it this winter.

Thanks to some of your posts I'm switching over to Amsoil. You oughta come to Colorado and ride sometime if you haven't already.
Always looking for another older rider to let these young kids chase us around.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.