Modifying your seat

4 replies to this topic
  • auron

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Before I buy a Renazaca or somthing I was thinking about cutting into the one I have and see what I can do. I read on ADVrider that an electric carving knife works well, but what about a dremel? Also, how do you reattatch the cover?

• Dave450r

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:16 AM

I have heard a guy use a small hole saw bit and dril a bunch of holes in the foam to make it softer
to put the cover back on i use a staple gun with 1/4in staples

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Suikerland

Posted December 17, 2007 - 01:08 PM

I have heard a guy use a small hole saw bit and dril a bunch of holes in the foam to make it softer
to put the cover back on i use a staple gun with 1/4in staples

seen pics of that posted on another board - seems to work.

I paid a bike shop about $45 to add more foam and re-cover mine - seemed like a good deal for time saved.
Remember, for a more comfortable seat for long rides, go WIDER, not necessarily softer.
It's the narrowness not the hardness that hurts.

I got them to add about an inch of foam on each side at the widest part, then taper down towards the front and back so it curves out then in again.

Not exactly Renazco, but it made a big difference on longer road trips. Looks fine too.

• jaredc28

Posted December 17, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I just recovered mine with an ebay "gripper" cover. Before I did it I went to our local upholstry shop and bought some of their "gel" they use in high end motorcycle seats. It was about 1/2 thick or more and very soft. I used my dremel to cut out a shape roughly 7x15 in my seat (starting just about where my balls rest most of the time). I then used a grinding tip to bore about 50 holes in the marked area to the depth I wanted...1/2 inch. Then put on the thin disk and bored out all of the material I didn't want. I used some liquid nails to glue both sides and whalla I have a gel seat.

• weskc35k

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:58 PM

I had an upholsterer make mine more like an MX seat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.