Another "new kid" thread

19 replies to this topic
  • zimak

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Hi guys. Just picked up a 2006 XR650R.
Past bikes 2007 WR450F and 2007 LTR450 (traded for the XR).
Sold the WR also. Finally find a bike that I loved from the minute I kicked her to life the first time.

Fully uncorked.
4.1g tank + original
Stock body + Full Baja Kit (plated and titled already)
Scott steering stab
....full large box of other stuff he included..sprockets etc
Pretty much every mod you can throw at it with a fat wallet.

All the way down to a very nice brand new rear tire (knobbie).

First question though, I would like to have 2 full sets of tires. One for on road and one for off.
Where can I get some info or find a good place to pick up a set of onroad wheels/tires? And what sizes am I looking at?
Thanks.

• jwebb85

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:48 AM

get a set of used supermoto wheels, be a much happier person. 17" if you were unsure

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:23 AM

ebay will be a good friend for finding used wheels, Stockers or 17's that will depend on what kind of riding you do. If you use street for 100% street and wanna pay for 17" wheels then they will be much better performance, if not get stock wheels with some good 50/50 tires for street and keep full nobbies for off road. Congrats on your new Pig!!

• zimak

Posted December 17, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Thanks guys.

Some other questions since I'm new to pigs.
Current sprockets are 15/52...what kind of set up is that?

• Juxxtin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Thanks guys.

Some other questions since I'm new to pigs.
Current sprockets are 15/52...what kind of set up is that?

That is right about stock... just a hair taller. Stock is 14/48, but they are very similar. If you are going to do single track, 14/52 would be wow factor. If be commuting, 15/~45. If you get 17's, it changes everything again. :banghead:

Where your pic contribution :busted: ?

• zimak

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Pics will be flowing here soon.

I've got her torn down almost completely. PO was decent in the parts and labor but she's dirty as hell and I cant post a pic like that.

Next question.
I put the stock seat back on, he had one 2in taller than stock (tall dude 6ft+a few inches).
I'm a little 5'8 guy.
With stock seat on there I still cant touch the ground. Now I was expecting this on my 07 WR450 with a 38.5in seat height but the BRP is supposed to be 36.8in seat height right?
I know I could at least come close to touching on a friends CRF450X but I'm not even tip toeing on this bike.
.....where to look...what to do?

• Juxxtin

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Pics will be flowing here soon.

I've got her torn down almost completely. PO was decent in the parts and labor but she's dirty as hell and I cant post a pic like that.

Next question.
I put the stock seat back on, he had one 2in taller than stock (tall dude 6ft+a few inches).
I'm a little 5'8 guy.
With stock seat on there I still cant touch the ground. Now I was expecting this on my 07 WR450 with a 38.5in seat height but the BRP is supposed to be 36.8in seat height right?
I know I could at least come close to touching on a friends CRF450X but I'm not even tip toeing on this bike.
.....where to look...what to do?

I've never looked into it... but lowering link possibly an option. Or shaving the seat foam in the center, then recovering, I've seen pictures on that. And if/when you install 17's, it'll be lower yet.

In other news... want to sell your useless taller seat to me? :banghead:

• BBA

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:56 AM

Hey Zimak where in NV are you from? Maybe you would be interested in taking the XR out for a session in my area one Saturday?

Posted Image

• zimak

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Vegas actually, Centennial Hills area NW part of the valley.

You? Where is that picture from?
Definately not Apex...Cold Creek maybe?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:48 AM

if you have the money get a set of 17" wheels! they are amazing, ive got 2 sets of gearing 14-48 with off-road wheels, and 15-40 with my supermoto wheels. If you have sprockets and brakes already on both sets of wheels you can switch them out in half an hour:thumbsup:

The 17's turning and handling ability will amaze you, scrapping pegs around turns on a dirtbike is an amazing feeling:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:54 AM

you may be able to find someone on here wanting to trade you for that high seat then you dont have to fuss with anything. GOOD another close BRP guy, we need more between LA and Vegas so we can get toghether more often

• zimak

Posted December 18, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hell yeah guys call it and I'm there!
I like to try and ride once during week and one day usually on most weekends.

Ok now to these 17's.
I dont want to go and screw it up so what tire/wheel size combos do I need?
Is there a package deal setup anywhere?

17's with rotor work ok with stock caliper?
Any special issues?

Some pics...dirty still but I'm working on it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• zimak

Posted December 18, 2007 - 04:33 PM

And after a little love and an old toothbrush.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• zimak

Posted December 18, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Ok next question.
To adjust the sag you need to have all the parts on the bike and then need to have you + gear on bike.
Can you adjust the sag without tearing it apart? Looks to me like the airbox needs to come out.
Am I wrong?

• knuklehead

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Any special issues?

Big rotor and stock caliper will work but can be over heated,after a fave section of road white smoke would billow of the caliper,never quit working tho.Finaly went to a radial master cyl and big caliper.

• BBA

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Im in Vegas as well (Sunrise mtn.). I'll pm you with my number if you want to check out some really good riding closer to home than you think!!

• Maroast

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Welcome Zimak! Great find...

Posted Image

Dude! I saw this pic in the other thread and wanted to comment on it.... that place looks sick.... you lucky bastard! Great photo.

• zimak

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Dude! I saw this pic in the other thread and wanted to comment on it.... that place looks sick.... you lucky bastard! Great photo.

Literally hundreds of miles of trails just like that around here.
BBA looking forward to it man!

Can anyone answer my sag question? Does the airbox/rear subframe need to come out to get in there and adjust it?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hell yeah guys call it and I'm there!
I like to try and ride once during week and one day usually on most weekends.

Ok now to these 17's.
I dont want to go and screw it up so what tire/wheel size combos do I need?
Is there a package deal setup anywhere?

Any special issues?

Motostrano has a lota diffornt conversion kits. A 4.25in rim or 4.5in rim with a 150 tire will safely fit, some guys squeeze on 160's but they have chain rubbing problems. And a 3.5in front with a 120 tire. With a 320 front rotor your also gona need a relocator braket. And definatly a front fender, the stock 1 just looks pathetic with 17's. Depending on what your budget is you can get a set-up anywhere from $1500 to $3000 for wheels, and front brake set-up. I spent $2100 for marchesini's and a motomaster "street" rotor with relocator.

Here's my set-up.
Posted Image

• BBA

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:51 AM

Well Maroast pack the family and the bike up and head on out to Vegas!! We'll send the women shopping and we will go hit the trails!!:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.