XR650R air filter cleaning

12 replies to this topic
  • GlobalWarmer

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:34 PM

With my other bikes I just drop the filter in a 1 gallon zip lock back and clean it without a mess. What efficient methods are you guys/girls using to clean the BRP's filter being that it has such a difficult shape?

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:35 AM

i use Simple Green as its strong enough to even get the grease off the sealing lip and easily cleans air filter. Use a little straight up and twice if nessecary and last cleaning/rinse i just use some dish soap then rince well with water.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:32 AM

i use Simple Green as its strong enough to even get the grease off the sealing lip and easily cleans air filter. Use a little straight up and twice if nessecary and last cleaning/rinse i just use some dish soap then rince well with water.

oh simple green good idea...im gona try that next cleaning, i was just useing dawn soap and a lota water.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:38 AM

What I'm looking for is a contained method of cleaning that long flat filter. My best idea at this point is to hit the thrift stores for a tupperware container large enough to soak it in.

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:25 AM

i just use a bucket and you dont need soaking time. I spray the SG right on and let sit a few minutes then im cleaning it with the hose and then im inside at the kitchen sink doing last cleaning with dawn. Im prolly only 5 minutes from start to finish

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:26 AM

oh simple green good idea...im gona try that next cleaning, i was just useing dawn soap and a lota water.

its so much faster than using dish soap only.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted December 17, 2007 - 12:31 PM

"No Toil" system there oil there cleaner work's pretty slick,bio degradeable.I do it in a five gal bucket(left over from constuction site) Once you use it you never go back to regular filter oil,real quick clean up.They say you can do it in the wash machine,Wife mite not go for that tho.

• rdahl

Posted December 17, 2007 - 01:17 PM

"No Toil" for me.
I actually enjoy cleaning my filters now.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I have a plastic container filled with paint thinner(with lid) large enough to accommodate the filter and a metal cage(metal silverware holder) at the bottom to keep the filter suspended. That way the filter doesn't sit in dirt while it's soaking. Massage it clean and rinse with warm water. Let it dry overnight and oil with Maxima FFT. After using the paint thinner for a while I pour it though an automotive paint filter and clean out the grit and crap then reuse.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have a plastic container filled with paint thinner(with lid) large enough to accommodate the filter and a metal cage(metal silverware holder) at the bottom to keep the filter suspended. That way the filter doesn't sit in dirt while it's soaking. Massage it clean and rinse with warm water. Let it dry overnight and oil with Maxima FFT. After using the paint thinner for a while I pour it though an automotive paint filter and clean out the grit and crap then reuse.

Thanks.

• Denn10

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:58 AM

not the best chemical to clean with but to each his own, i used to use gas or thinners not any more though there just to hars on the glue in the filters and your hands and dealing with them when its time to empty sucks.

• zracing

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:23 PM

No Toil for me :banghead: No need for smelly solvants or gas.

• mightymart

Posted December 19, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I agree with the no toil, great stuff, but personally I would clean the filter with proper oil filter cleaner then wash with water & leave to dry overnight, then oil up the filter & leave to dry for couple of hours, refit & your away.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.