Back to Blue

6 replies to this topic
  • arel451

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Quick and to the point. I want to pick up an 07 YZF (likely used), but this whole cornering debate has me a little concerned. I'm not a national caliber rider, but I hear of people complaining of a wandering front end and only good for dragstrip mx tracks. Is it that bad? Who are these people this bad handling applies to? I'm not constantly fiddling around with my clickers, I set the sag and go. Will I be satisfied with this bike?

PS Anyone in NY or Pennsylvania want to upgrade their 07 for something else PM me.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted December 16, 2007 - 11:46 AM

I've got the same bike you want to get. All I did to turn it into a corner eater was set the sag between 95-100 mm and slide the forks up in the clamps so that 5mm shows above the top clamp. Set your clickers to your preferences and ride the hell out of it!!! BTW, I'm a Junior (Novice to our American friends) Veteran rider.

You should be able to pick up a leftover brand new 07 relatively cheap (compared to an 08).

• ivesy

Posted December 16, 2007 - 12:41 PM

I am the same as you - set the sag and dont adjust the clickers much. I have an 06yzf and I thought it was fine until i rode a mate's 08 RMZ450, his bike felt alot more neutral having less front end push. After some research it seemed most people went with 24mm offset clamps to combat the problem. I didn't want to fork out the coin for the clamps so I bought a rekluse e-axle, this adjusts the offset at the axle and is far cheaper.
Once set right, there is hardly any difference between our bikes when it comes to turning in.
Like I said though, before i rode his bike the push never really worried me - its not that bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • arel451

Posted December 16, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I haven't had a chance to actually ride one of the newer generation YZFs (06-08) my old one was an 04 which is cosidered a ditch pig compared to whats out there now. I took a hiatus and rode red for a little over a year, its been nice but its time to come home.

• ivesy

Posted December 16, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I came off a 02 426 which made my 06 feel like a 125 in comparison.

• KJ790

Posted December 16, 2007 - 03:52 PM

I've never had a problem with the aluminum frame yamaha's handling. I think it feels like it's on rails compared to the steel framed YZ450's. People will complain about anything. Just ride it.

By the way, I'm an average A class racer.

• rmzRacer293

Posted December 16, 2007 - 05:52 PM

I've never had a problem with the aluminum frame yamaha's handling. I think it feels like it's on rails compared to the steel framed YZ450's. People will complain about anything. Just ride it.

By the way, I'm an average A class racer.

lol.... I like how you say that..... A class racers arent average. I saw your vid... your good. give yourself some cred. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.