cryo your clutch basket

12 replies to this topic
  • dzrtrat1111

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:18 AM

so after a ton of research, just to find out that no one any longer made an aftermarket clutch basket for my 96 XR 600. I was able to get ahold of an OEM brand new for about half the cost.

since i can't get a stronger aftermarket one, i have sent it out for cyrogenic treatment. ( about $35 ). this is supposed to increase the wear and strength about 50-75%. Has anyone ever done this??? i will update to let everyone know how it goes!

• djones

Posted December 16, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Cryo treating most metal wear items greatly adds to their strength and durability, so it stands to reason that it will help your clutch basket.
Ive seen many things treated with good success (axle shafts, knife and ax edges, entire chainsaws...)
I think its well worth the $35, go for it.

• knuklehead

Posted December 16, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Is'nt there a guy who put's stainless steel sleaves on the baskets.One of the clutch company's started selling them set up that way.Can't remember who it was,damn it's hell getting OLD.

• cleonard

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:05 PM

There used to be aftermarket clutch baskets made for the 600. However, production of those ended soon after the XR600 was discontinued. Not it is either an expensive OEM unit or ebay.

Pay attention XR650R owners. If you want goodies like a clutch basket with steel inserts, you had better buy them now.

• martinfan30

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:22 PM

cleonard is correct, R owners, buy all you can right now.

the only problem i see with treating the basket this way is this..

you make one part very strong/hard. the tabs on the clutch plates are soft, so i beleive the wear on the clutch pack will almost double from one piece being OVERLY strong. any thoughts?

• cleonard

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:37 PM

the wear on the clutch pack will almost double from one piece being OVERLY strong. any thoughts?

The clutch plates are easily replaceable and are a normal wear item. Honda wants $350 for a new basket. I replaced my badly worn basket with a much lesser worn one that I picked up on ebay for $25, and that was for the entire clutch not just the basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:53 PM

The clutch plates are easily replaceable and are a normal wear item. Honda wants $350 for a new basket. I replaced my badly worn basket with a much lesser worn one that I picked up on ebay for $25, and that was for the entire clutch not just the basket.

i hear ya. i am only wondering by hardening the basket, will the tabs on the plates wear more quickly than with a stock non -treated basket?

• dzrtrat1111

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:58 PM

like cleonard said, plates are a wear part, and i'd rather replace those!

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Yes but, what happens to the springs in the hub of the basket when you harden them? Do they get hard enough to become brittle and crack in a thousand miles? Same goes for the fingers of the basket. I am sure they probably flex and then you go and make that part hard and inflexible you are asking for breakage.

I know many automotive drag race guys do not harden rear end gears or transmission gears because they become so hard any sort of shock to them causes the gears to shatter. I may be wrong in all of this though as the clutch basket fingers are aluminum while gears in a rear end are not.

Just a thought, let us know how it turns out!

• martinfan30

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:39 AM

ryan, this was my thought too.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted December 18, 2007 - 08:46 PM

You know what might be a better option.

Try looking for a bike that uses the same friction plates in the clutch and then see if you can find an after market clutch basket for that bike that has the replaceable finger inserts.

If you happen to find such an animal you could then possibly have the XR's stock basket machined to accept the replaceable steel clutch finger sleeves and never have to worry about that part wearing again. Just stock up on the finger sleeves while they are still in production.

Edit: On a quick clutch kit part number cross reference I found the following bikes use the same clutch kit.

cr250r 82
cr250r 83-89
cr480r 82-83
cr500r 84-89

Thats not looking super great but this doesn't account for bikes that may use the same friction plate but a different number of them. Hence a different part number on the clutch kit.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:07 PM

And after a few more minutes of snooping around I find clutch kits that are just the friction plates and that greatly increased the number of bikes that for sure use the same number of and size friction plates so long as the part numbers are not wrong.

On the list are:
CR125R 87-99
CR250R 90-07
CRF450R 02-07
CRF450X 05-07
CR500R 85-01

The CRF450 is more than likely going to have an after market clutch basket available that has the replaceable steel fingers.

http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=412&s=2
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=978

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 19, 2007 - 06:57 AM

I'm thinking with 12,000 miles & only have replaced the clutch (not the basket) once, that the stock piece is fine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.