Shhh dont tell my wife

12 replies to this topic
  • knuklehead

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM

After getting my halo off last week,when she was at work I started my 650r(about 50 kicks)for the first time in about 4 month's.Felt good to putt putt around the parking lot in first gear.I've read that guy's are putting stuff called seafoam in there gas as a conditioner for when your not going to run stuff for a while.Anybody use the stuff or should I put stabil in it.Looks like I wont be able to realy ride for at least a couple more month's

• frankiewhipit

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:50 AM

I personally just drain all of the fuel for winter storage, the tank & carb :banghead:

• dzrtrat1111

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:08 AM

always just drain fuel from tank and carb for storage.

• cleonard

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:11 AM

+1 on these suggestions. Drain the gas and put it in your car/truck.

It will start again a lot faster if you get some oil on the rings. This can sometimes be accomplished by laying the bike over or just pulling the plug and putting a small amount, like 1/2 or 1/4 oz, in the spark plug hole. The oil drains away from the rings and the compression drops a lot.

• martinfan30

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:09 PM

stabil does work well. i also will use an after - run oil. i use it in my R.C. engines after running them.

• weskc35k

Posted December 17, 2007 - 12:09 AM

I'm telling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:46 AM

I leave fuel in my old XL's all year long and rarely start them - maybe every 3 months or so and the fuel remains fine without any problems. Stoage with a full tank of fresh gas is best to prevent condensation in the tank and rust. Run it out of gas prior to storage by turning the gas off and letting it idle till it dies, thus ensuring an empty carb. Least that is the way I do it.

• knuklehead

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:12 AM

I'm telling.

Your going get me killed or at least the crap beat out of me.I would have just drained it but didnt think I was going to go out and brake my neck and not ride for a while. Will pull carb off and clean her out real good and drain the old gas out and put it in the van.

• XRsteve

Posted December 17, 2007 - 10:55 AM

I never bother with fuel additives. Just start the bike more often and drain the carb if you're going to let it sit for more than a couple of weeks.

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:18 AM

I leave fuel in my old XL's all year long and rarely start them - maybe every 3 months or so and the fuel remains fine without any problems. Stoage with a full tank of fresh gas is best to prevent condensation in the tank and rust. Run it out of gas prior to storage by turning the gas off and letting it idle till it dies, thus ensuring an empty carb. Least that is the way I do it.

i do the same, i know its not the best to do but i havent had any problems before. Glad to hear you got the halo off now dont overdo it LOL no backflips till next year OK?

• martinfan30

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:36 AM

i do this also, motosportsman. been ok so far.

• knuklehead

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:55 AM

i do the same, i know its not the best to do but i havent had any problems before. Glad to hear you got the halo off now dont overdo it LOL no backflips till next year OK?

Backflips?It was that dang front flip that nearly did me in:crazy:

• Denn10

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:57 AM

LOL i know thats why you gotta flip the other direction DUHHHH

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.