Tips on adjusting the sag on an 07' WR450?

5 replies to this topic
  • atitagain

Posted December 16, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Hi all,
I have ridden my bike several times now and I have not adjusted the sag on it yet.:busted: The front tires seems to want to wash out on the hard packed AZ desert. I attribute that to my 200# butt pushing down on the back end. My question is this, is there an easy way to get to the shock to make adjustments on it? It looks like I have to tear apart the sub-frame, make my adjustment, put it all back together, check the measurment, and if more adjustments are needed do it all over again! There has to be an easier way :banghead: Does anyone have any tips?

• WR_Dave

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:59 AM

Loosen the lock nut with a long punch , make sure there isn't any dirt on the threads and then grab the spring and start turning it by hand. If the shock body threads are clean the other nut should turn down with the spring. Not the easiset way I suppose , but it beats all the work you were talking about. Make sure to turn in the right direction and retighten the lock nut when your done. WR Dave.

• KennyMc

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:44 AM

^^ +1. You just use a long punch. No dis-assembly required.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CORider63

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Also, be sure to throw the stock front tire in the trash.

Replace it with a Dunlop 756 or Pirelli Scorpion Pro. It will likely cure your problem.

• atitagain

Posted December 17, 2007 - 03:40 PM

Thanks everyone... I did it after work today. It was so EASY! You were right, there was enough room to get a punch in there and make the adjustment!
I don't know why I was thinking it was going to be too tight in there. Yamaha's setting was waaay off. It must have been set up for a 150# person from the factory.

• dazzabb

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Also, be sure to throw the stock front tire in the trash.

Replace it with a Dunlop 756 or Pirelli Scorpion Pro. It will likely cure your problem.

It's personal preference but I find the Bridgestone 601 and 401 a better option than the Dunlop 756. They really reduce "washout".

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.