Removing Lowering Link Bearings

9 replies to this topic
  • 2weelz

Posted December 15, 2007 - 08:57 PM

I just bought a 2000 XR650L. The previous owner installed a lowering link which I don't need. I need to switch the bearings to the stock dog bone but I don't have a press. Can I get them out some other way? Thanks

• 2weelz

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:56 AM

Nobody?

• dzrtrat1111

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:07 AM

use 2 properly sized sprockets and a bench vise!

• radbrad48

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:02 AM

As said above, use 1 socket to push them out and the other socket on the other side for the bearing to fall into. That is how I did it and it worked fine. Don't try pounding them out with a hammer. You will f#@k up the bearing. Also, it takes a little patients to get all of the bearings back in.

• cleonard

Posted December 16, 2007 - 10:57 AM

There is a good chance that you will damage the bearings getting them out. It is critical that whatever you use to press them out is the correct size. I would just buy some new ones and leave the old ones in the lowering link.

Those dogbone bearings are the first to go in the linkage. Take a really close look at them. If there is any sign of wear or corrosion you want to replace them anyway. They only cost about $8, but you do need 4 of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBA

Posted December 16, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I agree with Cleonard. With the trouble your going to encounter with trying to remove the bearing without damage and re-installing them will be more of a pain than its worth imho plus fresh bearings are always a good thing.

• Old Dog

Posted December 16, 2007 - 04:35 PM

hmmmmmm ...... that's odd. :busted:

When I pulled off my stock link and installed a Kouba lowering link, I removed the bearings from the stock link with my hands and then put them into the Kouba link ...... piece of cake. No pounding, pressing or any other kind of excessive force needed. :D

Maybe I've just got strong hands. :banghead:

• 2weelz

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I got them out. I heated the link with a heat gun and tapped them out with the correct size socket. Getting them in the new link was another story. I had to pound them in. I think I f'd one of them up but everything works fine for now. I'll replace soon. Oh yeah, now my suspension squeeks up and down. Doh!

• Blacksamwell

Posted December 18, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Another cheap bearing press alternative: 12 inches of all thread, a variety of washers and sockets, and a couple of nuts to fit the all thread.

It is kind of the same idea as using the shop vise and some sockets only you use the all thread and nut settup with a pair of wrenches to ease the bearing in or out.

Worked for me when replacing all of the suspension bearings on my KX. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:40 PM

I got them out. I heated the link with a heat gun and tapped them out with the correct size socket. Getting them in the new link was another story. I had to pound them in. I think I f'd one of them up but everything works fine for now. I'll replace soon. Oh yeah, now my suspension squeeks up and down. Doh!

or you could have thrown the bearings in the freezer, and heated up the link in the oven. then install. this is how i replace the crank and bearings in an RC engine. should work the same.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.