New XR650R, w/coolant overflow ***?

15 replies to this topic
  • AMMO22

Posted December 15, 2007 - 06:38 PM

I've had my BRP for a few weeks now. I've got roughly 85 miles on it. Today it was idling in my garage and the idle speed went up and and then coolant started to overflow from somewhere. Is this normal for the BRP's? Thanks everyone!

Posted Image

• rhythmofbeing

Posted December 15, 2007 - 06:50 PM

I can't speak to the idle increase, but mine has definitely boiled the coolant before. It was running lean at that point, and I was trying to work on the electrical system in the summer. Running hot + no fan + Texas summer = bubble bubble!

It's possible, though, that you didn't boil the coolant; if the overflow bottle is overfilled, when the engine heats up it will dump the extra juice. The overflow bottle is on the left side of the engine, behind the bash plate (if you haven't noticed).

Just keep an eye on the coolant when you're idling--it gets hot quickly.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2007 - 06:54 PM

1.All modern 'green sticker' dirtbikes come jetted lean from the factory, to pass EPA measurements. This includes the XR650R. Lean engines run hot, and overheat easily
2. Re-jetting the carb (main, piliot, and needle) will usually solve this issue. You can purchase a 'jetting kit' from companies like JD Jetting and others, which include other tuning information along with the kit. It takes about 1 hour to do.
3. It is advised to 'uncork' the bike at the time you re-jet: uncorking is the removal of the highly restrictive intake manifold, Airbox intake plug, and exhaust 'plug'. The bike is designed NOT to have this jetting or restrictions, and the bike is completely transformed into a real dirtbike when jetted right and un-plugged.
4. You will find more information on these subjects if you search for:
- uncorking
- jetting
- stock exhaust
- tuning

Welcome and good luck

• dmvmechanics

Posted December 15, 2007 - 09:40 PM

mines been uncorked, but it still gets hot during the summer 240+ degrees, i get a little worried sometimes, has anyone seen a fan kit for the 650r?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2007 - 10:58 PM

If you still overflow, go to a higher pressure radiator cap (1.6) and that will solve it.

• AMMO22

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Awesome guys! I wanted to get used to the bike before I turned it up. I still have problems on steep hills, keeping the front wheel down. But I will be rejetting and uncorking soon. Thanks for the input everyone, I love this bike more everytime I ride it.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted December 16, 2007 - 01:11 PM

mines been uncorked, but it still gets hot during the summer 240+ degrees, i get a little worried sometimes, has anyone seen a fan kit for the 650r?

Adding a fan to the BRP

Another setup that some people use is a KTM fan.

• stevenfallover

Posted December 16, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Mine boils over a lot, never have the problem when I'm moving along at a good pace. I've thought of getting bigger rads that Ive seen. But this has been the 650 deal since day one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted December 16, 2007 - 04:55 PM

My 650R runs really cool when im on the road, between 100-170 on the road depending on outside temp...i never got it over 205 and that was a long off-road ride of 1st and 2nd gear.

• scalejockey

Posted December 16, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Never had a problem with mine boiling compared with crf450r riding on the same slow trails.

• dmvmechanics

Posted December 16, 2007 - 11:43 PM

do you clean out your radiators?
mine heats up really fast in just a few minutes

• hondacrf150f1

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:40 AM

do you clean out your radiators?
mine heats up really fast in just a few minutes

Ive never done anything to mine, but i dont think ive rode it in temps over 80 degree's. In the late fall when it was 35 degree's out, i could let it idle for 2-3 minites then run it for 2-3 miles before it would hit 100 degree's on the Vapor, and would never go over 110.

• philipstjohn

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:14 AM

When I bought my bike, it was uncorked, but jetted way to lean for my riding area. Hard to start, boiled over if it sat at idle for only a few minutes, etc. Once I re jetted it for my riding area, it has fired up first kick most times, and has never boiled over since. It can sit at idle for at least ten minutes, coolent level will begin to rise, but never to the point of over boiling. And my riding area is pretty warm year round...:banghead:

• brp2004

Posted December 17, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Like the last guy said. Brand new and corked up mine boiled over a few times. Since I rejetted it has never boiled over.

• miguelitro

Posted December 17, 2007 - 04:07 PM

[quote name='Krannie']1.All modern 'green sticker' dirtbikes come jetted lean from the factory, to pass EPA measurements. This includes the XR650R. Lean engines run hot, and overheat easily
2. Re-jetting the carb (main, piliot, and needle) will usually solve this issue. You can purchase a 'jetting kit' from companies like JD Jetting and others, which include other tuning information along with the kit. It takes about 1 hour to do.
3. It is advised to 'uncork' the bike at the time you re-jet: uncorking is the removal of the highly restrictive intake manifold, Airbox intake plug, and exhaust 'plug'. The bike is designed NOT to have this jetting or restrictions, and the bike is completely transformed into a real dirtbike when jetted right and un-plugged.
4. You will find more information on these subjects if you search for:
- uncorking
- jetting
- stock exhaust
- tuning

Welcome and good luck[/QUOT

Just what I've been looking for after picking up the new pig last night!
Thanks
Mike

• ryontd

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hey Guys,

I had the same problems with mine when I bought it new last year. Then I got intruduced to this site by a friend and I did research just as you guys are doing. I "UNCORKED" my 650R and since then have not had a problem with over heating, the bike starts easier and it runs so much stronger. I changed the Slow jet to a 68s (get the 68s not a 68) and I changed the Main jet to a 175(I ride @ sea level to 2,000ft). I have also thought about trying a 180 main- big diffrence what the Stock Main is (125). Cut the rubber manifold or buy a new one (I cut mine out, it was super easy) and take that Rubber plug out of the airbox, take that backfire screen out and replace the stock filter with a UNI filter with the Metal frame on it. Punch the end of the muffler out with a 2" hole saw and your bike will be MUCH happier. Check out www.XR650r.net or www.xr650r.borynack.com/. These sites will help a bunch.:busted: :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.