Chain application?

8 replies to this topic
  • arcboy

Posted December 15, 2007 - 03:51 PM

I have a 01 WR 426 that I purchased about 2 months ago with a SM set up. I just bought a 450 dirt set up.

I was wondering if they should just bolt right up to the 426.

I would like to possibly use one chian for dirt and SM setups. The sproket set ups are SM: 15/48 Dirt: 15/47. I wouldn't think that the one tooth would be that big difference.

Also what type of chain o-ring, x-ring, no ring, what brand, and who has good deals?

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 16, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have a 01 WR 426 that I purchased about 2 months ago with a SM set up. I just bought a 450 dirt set up.

I was wondering if they should just bolt right up to the 426.

I would like to possibly use one chian for dirt and SM setups. The sproket set ups are SM: 15/48 Dirt: 15/47. I wouldn't think that the one tooth would be that big difference.

Also what type of chain o-ring, x-ring, no ring, what brand, and who has good deals?

You should not have any issues with length using the same chain with these two set ups but the 15/47 is pretty tall gearing for off road.. unless you are going to be riding primarily desert. I think stock set up on your 426 was 14/50. I think you would be better off going the other way with your dirt set up and using a 49 or 50T rear sprocket. Before my 07' I would always run 13/50 offroad but most of my riding is tight and technical:excuseme:

• Mutu

Posted December 17, 2007 - 12:56 AM

Using a 15t front sprocket for dirt? Is that using original 21" front / 18" rear?
15 / 47 seems really tall.

I think you might get away with 14/48 (what I run on my 450) for dirt.

• arcboy

Posted December 17, 2007 - 09:03 AM

I really don't want to change the front sproket along with the wheels and chain.

I wanted to find a good set up that all I would have to change is the wheels and ride. I will be swapping quite often. The rear is a stock 450. Not sure what the front is stock but I currently have a 15. Not sure how it will react with the stock dirt wheels with a 15/47. I will be doing mostly tight and techincal here in NC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:35 AM

I really don't want to change the front sproket along with the wheels and chain.

I wanted to find a good set up that all I would have to change is the wheels and ride. I will be swapping quite often. The rear is a stock 450. Not sure what the front is stock but I currently have a 15. Not sure how it will react with the stock dirt wheels with a 15/47. I will be doing mostly tight and techincal here in NC.

I would go with a 50T rear and then just find the sweet spot in regard to chain length so you can interchange with out removing or adding a link.

If you are riding tight and technical the 15/47 will be WAY to tall:prof:

• Mutu

Posted December 18, 2007 - 05:19 AM

If you are riding tight and technical the 15/47 will be WAY to tall:prof:

+1 :banghead:

• arcboy

Posted December 19, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Well if it doesn't rain this weekend I will be doing some riding and I will have to see if the 15/47 will do. At least until I get a different set of chain and sprokets.

• arcboy

Posted December 19, 2007 - 01:54 PM

If I keep the 15 front what should I get to compensate for in the rear for tight and technical woods riding?

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 19, 2007 - 02:43 PM

If I keep the 15 front what should I get to compensate for in the rear for tight and technical woods riding?

I would get the 50T but you might start getting to big of a gap to interchange wheels with one chain.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.