650R - has anyone removed judder spring from clutch?

13 replies to this topic
  • Suikerland

Posted December 15, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I've got a bit of a slippy clutch on my 650R. Mixed use - street and desert.
My local bike shop (good shop, run by a guy who races) says that for desert use, it's better to pull out the judder spring & disc on the 650R.

Problem is, I use this bike on the street as well, apparently this mod makes the clutch engagement/disengagement very sudden and difficult for street use.

Anyone got experience?
Am I going to be plowing into rear fenders of cars at stoplights, or is it rideable?

• hill5150

Posted December 15, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I am running a Hinson basket w/ no judder and ran the stock basket as well this way, street? it does jerk into gears and you notice it a bit, but not enough to warrant not doing it............Take it out and add a plate

• knuklehead

Posted December 15, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I am running a Hinson basket w/ no judder and ran the stock basket as well this way, street? it does jerk into gears and you notice it a bit, but not enough to warrant not doing it............Take it out and add a plate

I have the same set up Hinson/no judder No issue's.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Why would you want to remove it?

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 15, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Use the 7 fiber and 6 steel pack, this clutch is a bit grabby but very positive and hooks up fast.I don't burn clutches with this pack and it never slips. This was the pack the Honda Baja (650) guys found that lasted and did not fade. It's nice to have the adjustable WC perch too. Bike will also start in gear on a dead engine race start. When the clutch heats up I loosen it a couple of turns and it's good all day.

• Suikerland

Posted December 17, 2007 - 03:53 AM

I'm not a mechanic so I can only repeat what I'm told, which is that the judder assembly is the "weak link" in the 650R clutch assembly, and is prone to cause slippage. It's there to reduce "jolt" when engaging the clutch, so it seems not an essential part of the clutch assembly - more for comfort than for function.
Also, the faster clutch engagement without the judder assembly is apparently better for offroad use, they say it gives a more positive feel in dirt , i.e more clutch control.

Anyway, from today I'm riding without the judder, it takes a couple of traffic lights to get used to but overall it's fine. It is a lot more sudden than with the judder, (kind of "clutch on" and "clutch off" with not much inbetween) and i can feel why in soft sand it would be a better option.

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:59 AM

If you are looking for a clutch that will grab better and not fail in a big race? Then removing the judder is the way to go......The judder leaves a wicked grove in the clutch basket, that puts a bunch of metal in the oil. The judder lets the clutch slip in just a little so the bike doesn't shutter as the clutch tries to grab all at once. It also stops the horrible squeel.

Down sides once the judder is removed is that your clutch will make random horibale noise and grab with a jurking, juddering at times. Very random. I removed my judder and was happy for almost two weeks of constant riding. Loved the instant grab! Thought why would anyone NOT remove the judder assembly? Then it squealed and made that horibale loud sound. I figured the bike was coming apart! I had forgotten about the judder being removed and for a few minutes couldn't think what that horible noise was. It makes the noise more often now after a few years but, I would rather have the instant grab and reliability of the clutch without the judder. Anyways it a Big Red Pig, it is suppose to squeel!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted December 17, 2007 - 10:05 AM

When it makes that noise I loosen the cluch play a little at the perch and it's fine.

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:44 AM

I was talking about the random noise when the clutch is starting to engage as you let the clutch out. It never slips to make noise as would be the case if the clutch cable was to tight.

• Suikerland

Posted December 17, 2007 - 01:12 PM

ok so i got 2 weeks of peaceful riding before the pig starts squealing.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:22 PM

I was talking about the random noise when the clutch is starting to engage as you let the clutch out. It never slips to make noise as would be the case if the clutch cable was to tight.

Mine makes a noise when it gets warm, maybe the fibers are expanding from the heat but it doesn't slip it just grabs harder and makes the noise. It's always done this with the 7 and 6 back. What do you think? It only does it stating out like at a check point in a race.

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Mine makes a noise when it gets warm, maybe the fibers are expanding from the heat but it doesn't slip it just grabs harder and makes the noise. It's always done this with the 7 and 6 back. What do you think? It only does it stating out like at a check point in a race.

That sounds like that is it. Right as it grabs, a little different for each bike. Mine can make so much noise every once in a while it is embarassing. Sounds a lot like you kicked a pig real hard. Most of the time it is a moaning/growning with a little wreer sound, then no sounds and acts great for the rest of the day till you forget about it, then grab, moan, jerk, wreer, grab, grown, squeel. I have to admit I usualy am hammering the clutch off, on, off, on, second grear start, and just real fast with 15/48 gearing and a good twist of the throttle but, who would think that would have anything to do with it?

http://borynack.com/...o/Pismo2006.wmv

• Suikerland

Posted December 18, 2007 - 07:52 AM

mine gave a few squeals today in traffic, on the second ride with the revised clutch. Good thing i had been warned, it would have freaked me out. Probably would have parked the bike and walked home.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 18, 2007 - 09:42 AM

..very interesting....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.